No announcement yet.

Are the internets worth $60 a month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

would they allow me to play world of warcraft in my underwear 8 to 10 hours a day?
    One would need to further consider the proposed hypothetical before giving a definite answer.
    Possibility A:
    Your local library does not provide users with access to the internet.
    Result:
    There's nothing they can really do about it. Your question may raise heads and prompt awkward pauses at the loans desk.
    Possibility B:
    Your local library does provide users with access to the internet.
    Result:
    The librarians are all at least 50 years old. They will have no idea what World of Warcraft is and likely repress any thought of you in your underwear (see Result A, above).
    You could try installing the game on one of their computers. I don't think they'd really notice or trouble themselves with it. Play from opening 'til closing time--that should make up at least 8 of the hours you wanted.
    On the other hand the librarians may take issue with your state of undress whilst inside the lbrary and ask you to leave. Employ cunning: wear a pair of shorts and a singlet instead. Shorts are practically boxers anyhow and no one said anything about wearing anything underneath them. Though if you do, I recommend a pair of that male lingerie they sell nowadays. You know, in case you get hit by a bus.
    Lastly, remember that your local library is not a bank, and has likely acquired the cheapest internet connection available from the shoddiest, most unreliable service provider on the market. Imagine the face of poor Mrs Twiddley, head librarian, as the city council bears down upon her with complaints about the cost of the library's new "internet cafe". Think of her 15 cats--Twinkles, Lollipop, Twinkles Jr., Lollipop Jr., Twinkles Jr. Jr., Lollipop Jr. Jr. and the rest--as they resort to cannibalism because Mrs Twiddley agreed to take a pay cut to bear the cost of your WoW addiction. For shame, Dis. For shame.
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Why won't they think of the kitties?

Comment

Why won't they think of the kitties?
        Indeed. Now Sgt. Tabbyfoot and Cl. Patchface may pay for his selfish desires.
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

2 dollars a day? I'm sure you waste more money on worse things.
          Last edited by SlowwHand; July 29, 2007, 11:40.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

It will keep me from going out drinking as often, so I would sve money
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Unless you live very far from a hub or remote terminal you get plenty of speed on DSL. Its max speed is lower than cable, but its min speed is often higher, and it is MUCH more stable.
              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Apocalypse
                It will keep me from going out drinking as often, so I would sve money
                yeah, but I drink while playing sometimes, so I'm still spending more money.

But a beer drunk at home is a little over $2 vs over $4 at a bar.

Comment

2 bucks a bottle at home? That's because you drink above your means.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I thought things were cheaper in the US? Those sound like expensive prices for what you're getting...
                    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Apparently the US is a third world country when it comes to telecommunications. IIRC the cell phone costs are ridiculous as well...
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

In Sweden you can get 100/10 Mbit for approx. $50
                        I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

My observation is that Cable Modem is as cheap as DSL, and generally (But nota lways) Faster.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I pay $40/month for cable internet. DSL is cheaper but the local low-cost DSL provider is horrible.

Comment

I do not have an interest in cable. I don't need ESPN because there are sports bars. Sitcoms/drama can be watched on the internet.

Thus, this 60/mo plan seems the cheapest to me.
                              "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
                              "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
                              "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
                              "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I would definitely do it.

JM
                                Jon Miller-
                                I AM.CANADIAN
                                GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Working...
                                X