Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I watched a show last night on Discovery about oil running out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I watched a show last night on Discovery about oil running out...

Originally posted by Lancer
    It was 2016, oil is $160 a bbl, lines at the stations, drilling in arctic wilderness, SUVs with no gas, heat off, lights going out, people beating each other up, distraught women being distraught, lions and lambs eating each other...

I was at my Toyota dealership the other day and there is an all electric vehicle planned for 2020. I told them if they get one I'll buy it. The dealer mentioned a three wheel electric vehicle for around town being imported from europe. Anyone know anything about this?

2020! Wtf?
    Shows a complete lack of understanding of how the modern economy, and the market, works.

Comment

I'm totally sold on electric cars and will now be very pig headed about changing my mind, thank you, you guys have confirmed me in my view.

The increase in ticket prices to the Phils seems a bit drastic. I wonder at what fuel price do they start making zepplins for passenger travel again. I bet those good people at the zepplin works in Manhiemstattin are keeping a close eye on ticket prices and reaching for their drawing boards...
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Not if one also experiences a doubling in income. However, I have not.
        I have. Which is why I'm still poor.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I bet those good people at the zepplin works in Manhiemstattin are keeping a close eye on ticket prices and reaching for their drawing boards...
          They is already back, baby! LINK

Comment

That's a great start, but it's still small potatoes. Show me one that can carry a thousand passengers between SF and Hong Kong for 1/3rd the cost, and I'll show you a passenger!

Comment

Please, don't confuse the increasing worthlessness of the the US $ with global economic issues. I may be talking about of my ass but the supposedly surging oil prices are barely being felt down here in euroland.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

...since oil crude is traded in USD. It's not the first time the a fall of the USD is coincided by a surge of oil prices (in USD).
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Those words are going to taste a little funny if a few years Colon.

Comment

There's a perverse dynamic going on. Surging oil prices led states to increase taxes and control over oil companies, with negative effects. Witness how production fell after Chavez installed cronies at the PDVSA, or how Russia oil production stagnated after the raid on Yukos. This in turn led to tighter supply and higher prices, enhancing govt's bargaining chips. Countries like Saudi Arabia are hardly exploiting all of their oil potential (and don't feel pressured to, again due to high oil prices) so it's silly to argue the current hike (in USD) can be attributed to peak oil.

Comment

What about China?

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                        I look forward to high(er) gas prices. It will drive us toward alternative fuels and the beginning of the end of our subservience to the oil producing asshats.

Then we will be subservient to the electric-car-producing and electric-providing asshats
                        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                          ... so it's silly to argue the current hike (in USD) can be attributed to peak oil.
                          The jacking up of gasoline prices isn't due to crude oil shortages but rather to, once again, refineries closing down, supposedly for accidents and maintenance.

There hasn't been a new refinery built in the U.S. since IIRC 1975.

Comment

We don't have a refinery shortage either, despite what Big Oil is telling us. Supply is easily keeping up with demand.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Oil wont have even nearly run out by 2020 AD.

As the price per barrel increases more expensive sources of oil become economically viable. What may be the case of 2020 AD is the end of cheap petrol, but to be honest here in Britain with taxation we're already there.

Comment

Working...
                              X