We need to be prepared..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We need to be prepared..

What if something happens? We've seen our fair share of floods, earthquakes and whatnot. Not to mentionthe threats of terrorist attacks. Anything can happen. And we can't count on the the government to be there. Is New Orleans still rebuilt? How many how lost their homes and won't get it back? What if this happens on a national or global scale? How will we defend ourselves? We can't! Civilization is only a thin veneer on this so called "society" of ours. We're just weeks or months away from being Somalia for gods sake.

Even Sweden, who I consider to be a good country with a decent infrastructure and rescue service. If something big happens (and it doesn't have to be a nuclear bomb) we're ****ed! The last years floods and storms have shown that we don't have the necessary preparations made for a dire emergency. Sure, we can hold out for a few days, knowing that power, telephones and stuff will be restored. But what if if it's not? What if it goes on? What if the whole society is unravelling? People (especially in Sweden) is dependent on the state to take care of them, give them food, power and security. We can't even begin to imagine a world without this! The floods in Britain is the worst in recorded history, and thankfully the British government is responding as they should be (AFAIK) taking care of their citizens. But if there was a 100 Tewkesburys, where would they start?

The sad truth (IMO) is that we're not prepared for big disasters. No one is. Because it costs money to maintain it. And maintaining a civil defense generates no money, so it doesn't get done in these times of rampant capitalism where every department has to support themselves or risk being downsized.

So if we can't trust the government who can we trust? The simple answer is ourselves! We need to take care of ourselves, if the goverment doesn't do it for us. There's no difference between USA, The Netherlands, New Zeeland or Sweden. The politicans can say whatever the hell they like, the people only has one agenda. To survive. Whatever it the hell it takes.

The bottom line is that people need to get off their fat butts and do something, be prepaired. Not waiting for the government to do it for them. 'cause that's never gonna happen...
    Very drunk
    50.00%
    Totally sober
    41.67%
    Bwana dacaquiri
    8.33%
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

We need to be prepared..

I think the word you're looking for is "impaired". You're doing fine, by the way.

Comment

Nah, you're impaired enough for the rest of us. But thank's for playing
      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Well, you have got a new government, so maybe there is hope for you. Depends on how much damage the previous regime has managed to do
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Btw, I just heard in the radio that your health care system soon will go right down the drain - no more free education of swedish docs at danish universities.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

The dock in my garden has been schredded and FUBAR from the recent flooding and summer storms. Gudrun and Per surely took their toll, but the recent weather was the nail in the coffin. I blame Bush!
            So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
            Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Rampant capitalism
              THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

We keep quite a well stocked "emergency response kit" - all the usual stuff, plus sleeping bags, couple of weeks dried food, water (hmm must check to see if the water needs to be replaced yet), etc etc.

It will get us through the first two weeks of a disaster if need be.

Plus if need be, I've got a rifle, there are farms nearby, fresh lamb for dinner.......
                I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Standard preparation for citizen of Sweden: Gathering all the phone numbers to different local and national authorities and finding out who is supposed to do what for you. Including wiping your behind if you find youself on a toilet without any paper nearby on the other side of the world.
                  It's candy. Surely there are more important things the NAACP could be boycotting. If the candy were shaped like a burning cross or a black man made of regular chocolate being dragged behind a truck made of white chocolate I could understand the outrage and would share it. - Drosedars

Comment

Working...
                  X