Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Senior Israeli official: We now have a partner

select quotes:

Vice Premier Haim Ramon said Friday that Israel should move quickly to secure an accord on the principles of final status agreement with the Palestinians.

"I believe right now we have a partner," said Ramon. "I don't know for how long, so we must move quickly."

"In my eyes, the occupation of the territories threatens our very existence, our legitimacy and our international standing," Ramon said in the radio interview

Olmert confirmed Wednesday that he intends to engage in negotiations with Abbas on the formation of a Palestinian state.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

NATO forces are going to come out of thin air?

Comment

A good start would be getting the **** out of East Jerusalem...
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

The jerusalem question is complex, as both Israelis and Palestinians know, if not everyone else does. Its a good step toward peace, though.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I hope for the best. I'm not holding my breath, though.

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
            The jerusalem question is complex
            No it's not. Israel is occupying a massive chunk of Jerusalem it shouldn't be - WTF is 'complex' about that!!?

In fact, according to the original United Nations Partition Plan for Palestine, Israel has no right whatsoever to be in control of any part of Jerusalem...

Comment

Fair & balanced, as usual.

More bolding, all caps and smilies, please.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Well why don't you tell me where Israel has the legal right to be occupying any part of Jerusalem then - let alone the Eastern part, oh enlightened one...?

Comment

Having a conversation with my cubicle wall would be more productive.

-Arrian

Comment

When Palestinians to the man decided to engage/support in suicide bombings against civilians for 40 years. Forfeit.

They are lucky they are getting anything at all, time for the Pals to realize that and capitalize on the situation.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                      Having a conversation with my cubicle wall would be more productive.

-Arrian
                      Translation: You can't!

So much for you being fair yourself, Arrian. Eh? Eh?

Comment

Comment

Does this also make you a hypocrite for using a smiley?

Still waiting for your proof that my point about Israel withdrawing from Jerusalem is in any way unfair BTW.

Comment

The original partition plan was rejected by the arabs, and is legally a nullity.

The standing arab position is that the 1949 ceasefire lines, which had Israel in control of West Jerusalem, plus Mount Scopus, and the arabs (in fact Jordan) in control of East Jerusalem, including the Old City, should be the basis for a settlement. The standing Israeli position has been that the 1949 ceasefire lines are not legally binding.

The compromise everyone serious on both sides expects is that the 1949 lines will be the starting point, but that it will be adjusted - certain areas of great importance to Israel will be given to Israel, in return for territorial compensation in some form to the Palestinians. Right now what is being discussed is that a tunnel will be built on sovereign Israeli territory to connect the WB and Gaza, and that Israel will recieve territory in compensation.

It is widely understood that Israel will receive the histori Jewish Quarter of the Old City. They expect to also receive certain areas just east of the old city, of historic significance to Jews - the Kidron valley and the Mount of Olives. The Palestinians would receive all the rest of East Jerusalem, including the Christian, Muslim, and Armenian quarters of the Old City. To avoid having security checkpoints WITHIN the Old City, there would be a joint security forces, which would control checkpoints (at the historic city gates) between the OC and both East and West Jerusalem. I can see many prolems with that solution, but OTOH I dont see a better one that will be acceptable to both sides.

The Jews will get soveriegnt over the Western Wall, and the Pals over the adjoining Temple Mount/Haram al Sharif. Some protection will be needed regarding the subsoil of the mount, to prevent disturbance to archaelogical remains (Which may include the Jewish Temples)

Like I said, its complex.

Comment

Working...
                            X