I am disturbed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am disturbed

In the second year of our engineering degree, we devote a few hours a week to a subject called "Soft Skills" (I'm a bit miffed that the university thinks that people who opt for Comp. Sci. (or IT) lack soft skills - this is not a requirement for any other course).

Now, this week we were asked to conduct mock interviews of random people from our batch. A person from my group asked another person who their idol was.

"Hitler."

I couldn't believe it in the beginning. What sort of an idiot answers "Hitler" to a question like that, in an environment supposed to simulate a corporate interview? I raised an objection (even though I wasn't really involved, I couldn't let something like this go).

Then came the next bombshell. Everyone except me in that little group actually agreed with that girl. I raised the question of the slaughter of 6 million Jews. Another girl's reply to that was most memorable - "He didn't do it, his lower officers did it without him knowing, or his consent."

WTF? Sincerely, just WTF? In what world are these people living? Maybe I'm a bit of an exception in this matter - I've gone through a large and meticulous chronicle of Nazi atrocities when I was thirteen or fourteen years old (I gave up halfway because I realised it would only be more of the same), but I expect that the education system have imparted to these people at least a rough idea of what he did.

And this is not an isolated phenomenon. I've come across far too many people who think Hitler was a great man, ranging from the ages of five to twenty-five, to dismiss this. I'd venture to say that at least half or more of people my age admire the guy.

What sort of blindness can cause this? If this is what our educated, middle class (or affluent), and liberal youth is thinking, where are we heading? What is going to happen to the nation when people like this run the country?

They will run the country in the ground... No wait...

Seriously, it might have to do with the type of people you hang out with, namely the rather nationalistic type.

It is funny how coherent thought seems to be impossible when you move to far to the right or left on the scale.
    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Now, if it's not the jew-killing that makes them Hitler, what exactly do they admire him for? The brilliant way in which he waged a war on two fronts? His incredible posture? The mustache?
      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Originally posted by dannubis
        They will run the country in the ground... No wait...

Seriously, it might have to do with the type of people you hang out with, namely the rather nationalistic type.

It is funny how coherent thought seems to be impossible when you move to far to the right or left on the scale.
        As I said, random people. I didn't know these people before the interview, and I most probably won't know them much later, either. I have no idea what their leanings were or are (except that they're total nutjobs, apparently).

Comment

Your calling has come, Aneesh. You must save your country from Fascism.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
            Your calling has come, Aneesh. You must save your country from Fascism.
            "Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain."

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
              Now, if it's not the jew-killing that makes them Hitler, what exactly do they admire him for? The brilliant way in which he waged a war on two fronts? His incredible posture? The mustache?

Imagine people are are loving a guy who felt unconscious when he tried to paint a nude women at the test entrance for the painting school. (which could lead us to a trouble with the feminine aspect, which could also be linked by how he hated dreaming.)

Or the fact that he hated dreaming(mainly he was disgusted by many physical process), he always said that he didn't like what he dream, he did took many kind of pills to stay awake;

people also like how he was easily irritated by things, how he over reacted to benign situation.

What people liked about Hitler is how; he became an hysteric, neurotic human being. Or how weak he really was. How he was unable to face reality.
              bleh

Comment

When I was young I was attracted by him; thinking how he sacrificied himself for is country, his nation.

Before I began to know more about him
                bleh

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
                  Imagine people are are loving a guy who felt unconscious when he tried to paint a nude women at the test entrance for the painting school. (which could lead us to a trouble with the feminine aspect, which could also be linked by how he hated dreaming.)

Or the fact that he hated dreaming(mainly he was disgusted by many physical process), he always said that he didn't like what he dream, he did took many kind of pills to stay awake;

people also like how he was easily irritated by things, how he over reacted to benign situation.

What people liked about Hitler is how; he became an hysteric, neurotic human being. Or how weak he really was. How he was unable to face reality.
                  I think this makes him an interesting character but not an admirable human being.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

This explains India's recent agressor actions.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I'm not surprised at this. India is far away and WWII didn't touch it much. It would be surprising to me if most people there ever heard the name "Hitler".

Which is completely rational. European history in general is simply a waste of time for Indians to study unless they're going to become a historian or a diplomat.

Comment

I think what people like is that a common man united a country to wage war against the world. Regardless of how evil you may think him the man had to be cunning and genius to achieve such a feat. If you think otherwise then let me know when you've done the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                          h

I think what people like is that a common man united a country to wage war against the world. Regardless of how evil you may think him the man had to be cunning and genius to achieve such a feat. If you think otherwise then let me know when you've done the same.
                          I don't think he was evil. I think he was a caricature of a genius.

In that way, he was lower than any "normal" human being.
                          bleh

Comment

What people liked about Hitler is how he was easily irritated by things, how he over reacted to benign situation; he became an hysteric, neurotic human being. Or how weak he really was. How he was unable to face reality.
                            I think a lot of his admirers see him as the 20th century Napoleon. But, if you ask me, he wasn't exactly of Napoleon's caliber
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

thank God, my sig express my thought about hitler.

"Masses are always breeding grounds of psychic epidemics. " - Carl G. Jung

Hitler appeared at the right time, and the right moments. He wasn't a genius; he was just profoundly mentally sick.

Otherwise, make it appear later, it would have been sent to "Tolerance camp (southpark joke)
                              bleh

Comment

Working...
                              X