Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest Civilization in History (Americas, Europe, and Greco-Roman Poll)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Civilization in History (Americas, Europe, and Greco-Roman Poll)

Please vote for 3 under AM, 5 under EU, and 3 under GR

for the Americas I voted:
    USA
    Maya
    Banana

for Europe I voted:
    Italy
    Germany
    England
    France
    Spain

for Greco-Roman I voted:
    Rome
    Greece
    Byzantium
    USA (AM)
    9.87%
    Inca (AM)
    5.26%
    Mayas (AM)
    5.92%
    Aztecs (AM)
    4.61%
    Olmecs (AM)
    1.32%
    Banana (AM)
    2.63%
    Italy (EU)
    4.61%
    Germany (and all previous incarnations) (EU)
    5.92%
    England/ Great Britian/ UK (EU)
    8.55%
    France (EU)
    7.24%
    Poland (EU)
    0.66%
    Spain (EU)
    6.58%
    Bulgaria (EU)
    1.97%
    Viking (EU)
    4.61%
    Banana (EU)
    1.97%
    Rome (GR)
    9.87%
    Greece (GR)
    7.89%
    Macodonia (GR)
    1.32%
    Byzantium (GR)
    7.24%
    Banana (GR)
    1.97%

The poll is expired.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

USA
    Maya
    Inca

for Europe I voted:
    Italy
    Germany
    England
    France
    Spain

for Greco-Roman I voted:
    Rome
    Greece
    Byzantium
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

lol Macodonia
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

USA
        Mayas
        Aztecs

Italy
        Germany
        England
        France
        Spain

Byzantium
        Greece
        Rome
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
          lol Macodonia
          FYROM

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

USA
            Inca
            Aztec

for Europe I voted:
            Italy
            Germany
            England/UK
            France
            Spain

for Greco-Roman I voted:
            Rome
            Greece
            Byzantium
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

AM:

USA
              Inca
              Aztec

EU:

Germany
              England
              Spain
              France
              Viking (but this is the one least worthy of those I chose)

GR:

Rome
              Greece
              Banana, as none of the other choices were worthy enough(Byz= amalgam of Rome and Greece)
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Aztecs have no special civilizatory merit, unless you measure in sacrificed bodies - their culture was hardly very original and built upon earlier civilizations. Which reminds me that I forgot to nominate the Toltecs in the first place.

Similar with the Inka. But nominating Tiwanaku or the Chimu would probably have been pointless...
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

What, does the religion of the Aztec (Triple Alliance, to be more accurate) not rate? Or the cities it built, Tenochititlan being central? Or their poetry and other crafts? Simply because they built on early civilzations is no reason to denegrate their own cultural achievements... unless you are going to smack down the Romans for stealing heavily from the Greeks?

In the same guise, the Inca (or Tawantinsuyu) had cities, a very unique (for the time) federalized, multicultural empire, the architecture of Cuzco and Maccu Picchu, the the Quipu, etc.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                    What, does the religion of the Aztec (Triple Alliance, to be more accurate) not rate? Or the cities it built, Tenochititlan being central? Or their poetry and other crafts? Simply because they built on early civilzations is no reason to denegrate their own cultural achievements... unless you are going to smack down the Romans for stealing heavily from the Greeks?
                    The religion of the Aztecs is virtually the same as that of the Toltecs, contributing a handful gods (Huitzilopochtli), whom they had to force into mythology, and a high sacrifice rate. Teotihuacán was wurely more of a great city than Tenochtitlan, without negating that Tenochtitlán must have been awesome. I don't know about the poetry more than that an "Aztec" ruler from Texcoco (Nezhualcoyotl) was conseidered a great poet. Then again, I'm confident the earlier cultures had equals, but poetry was not recorded back then. Other cratfs --> cf. Toltecs, the Aztecs actually adopted the word "toltec" to mean craftsmen. The Aztec codices were nothing compared to Mixtec codices, etc.

I think the biggest merit of the Aztecs compared to the Toltecs or the Classic Mexico of Teotihuacán (for the people of that period we don't even have a good label) is that they were around when the Spanish came, thus more of their culture was recorded.

In the same guise, the Inca (or Tawantinsuyu) had cities, a very unique (for the time) federalized, multicultural empire, the architecture of Cuzco and Maccu Picchu, the the Quipu, etc.
                    I was focussing more on my argument about the Aztecs, so I grant you this, albeit the last bit, that we simply know more because they were the last in the row, is fully valid.
                    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                      The religion of the Aztecs is virtually the same as that of the Toltecs, contributing a handful gods (Huitzilopochtli), whom they had to force into mythology, and a high sacrifice rate. Teotihuacán was wurely more of a great city than Tenochtitlan, without negating that Tenochtitlán must have been awesome. I don't know about the poetry more than that an "Aztec" ruler from Texcoco (Nezhualcoyotl) was conseidered a great poet. Then again, I'm confident the earlier cultures had equals, but poetry was not recorded back then. Other cratfs --> cf. Toltecs, the Aztecs actually adopted the word "toltec" to mean craftsmen. The Aztec codices were nothing compared to Mixtec codices, etc.

I think the biggest merit of the Aztecs compared to the Toltecs or the Classic Mexico of Teotihuacán (for the people of that period we don't even have a good label) is that they were around when the Spanish came, thus more of their culture was recorded.
                      Again, it seems like the difference between Rome and Greece. In addition Tenochtitlan, while not having as many structures as Teotihuacan, probably held more people (estimates are 200,000 inhabitants on the island and 300,000 to 700,000 surrounding it).

Aztec poetry was also a big pastime, intended for warriors when they were not fighting. A great deal of it still survives as well. And you can say that other cultures may have had equals, but if there is no proof, it just looks like you are searching for a reason to knock them down.

And while they did venerate the ancient Toltecs, it was more of a mythical view of them, thinking they made Teotihuacan and that they were the originators of all culture (which is, of course false, since the Toltecs took plenty of Olmec ideals).

And while Mixtec codices were fancier, the Mixtec became a tributary state of the Aztec empire, which incorporated Mixtec culture into their own (hell, the term "Mixtec" comes from an Aztec word). Conquerers tend to bring in a lot of different cultures into their own.

One again, it sounds very similar to what the Romans did. The Romans took most of their culture from the Greeks and added their own gloss and also added things from conquered territories to the mix. So did the Aztec... but no one is denigrating the Romans for simply "borrowing" all their civilization.

Comment

Bulgaria in but not Russia? Wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                          Aztec poetry was also a big pastime, intended for warriors when they were not fighting. A great deal of it still survives as well. And you can say that other cultures may have had equals, but if there is no proof, it just looks like you are searching for a reason to knock them down.
                          No I'm referring to the fact that how we perceive Ancient America is mostly a snapshot from the time of Conquest, while previous cultures go mostly unnoticed because of the lack of records. The Aztecs made not more records than their predecessors, thus had the Spanish arrived a few centuries later, we'd know as little about their society as we do about the Toltec.

One again, it sounds very similar to what the Romans did. The Romans took most of their culture from the Greeks and added their own gloss and also added things from conquered territories to the mix. So did the Aztec... but no one is denigrating the Romans for simply "borrowing" all their civilization.
                          There is a difference between the cases in which I insist.
                          The Romans (and the Inca for that matter, which is why I withdrew my initial statement) went completely new ways in state matters, administration and infrastructure, while the way the Aztecs ruled was hardly original: install garrisons and send tribute collectors through the country. Romans "romanized", "civilized"?, some of the more barbaric parts of Europe over many centuries.
                          The Aztec rule over Mexico started to be significant starting with the rule of Moctezuma I., from 1440 onwards - that is 80 years of political domination of a common cultural area already existing for milennia, to which only a certain number of proper cultural elements were introduced.
                          If I needed to make an Old World comparison I'd rather make this one: Assyrians (Aztecs):Old-Babylonians (Toltecs):Sumerians (Olmec).

More later, gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                            Bulgaria in but not Russia? Wtf?
                            You need to pay attention more. All the civs up there were nominated by people here. And I guess no one thought to nominate Russia, though obviously it deserved a nod.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                              No I'm referring to the fact that how we perceive Ancient America is mostly a snapshot from the time of Conquest, while previous cultures go mostly unnoticed because of the lack of records. The Aztecs made not more records than their predecessors, thus had the Spanish arrived a few centuries later, we'd know as little about their society as we do about the Toltec.
                              Only if the Aztec had fallen in that time, of course. Though one cannot deny that the Aztec had the largest empire of the bunch. Probably millions of souls under their command, streaching over most of present day of Mexico.

A larger empire than the Toltecs at any rate. Then again, recent scholarship believes that the Toltecs were mostly mythological, promogated by the Aztecs, claiming they took from them.

There is a difference between the cases in which I insist.
                              The Romans (and the Inca for that matter, which is why I withdrew my initial statement) went completely new ways in state matters, administration and infrastructure, while the way the Aztecs ruled was hardly original: install garrisons and send tribute collectors through the country. Romans "romanized", "civilized"?, some of the more barbaric parts of Europe over many centuries.
                              The Aztec rule over Mexico started to be significant starting with the rule of Moctezuma I., from 1440 onwards - that is 80 years of political domination of a common cultural area already existing for milennia, to which only a certain number of proper cultural elements were introduced.
                              If I needed to make an Old World comparison I'd rather make this one: Assyrians (Aztecs):Old-Babylonians (Toltecs):Sumerians (Olmec).

More later, gotta go.
                              The Aztec system of tributary empire was definately unique in its utter scope. No other MesoAmerican empire was anywhere near as large. In addition the Aztecs were responsible for an intricate road system that amazed the Spaniards as to how well maintained they were, with couriers walking constantly along the path, latrines every 10-15 km, and even woman could be safe walking alone. They were very large in mixing the cultures of Central America, as they would be in controlling such a large trading network.

Comment

Working...
                              X