What do people mean by, "This is the Word of God?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people mean by, "This is the Word of God?"

Well according to former Episcopal bishop, John Shelby Spong, author of the book, The Sins of Scripture: Exposing the Bible's Texts of Hate to Reveal the God of Love, he had this to say in response to the question above:

"I suspect that we still call the Bible the "Word of God" because everyone reserves to himself or herself the right to interpret what that claim means. When some Christians say of the Bible, "This is the Word of God,"they mean quite literally that they believe this book was written or dictated by God and is therefore inerrant. That is the most popular point of view asserted by America's well-known television evangelists. One wonders, however, upon hearing that claim whether these people have ever read the entire biblical text! Others, attempting to find a more moderate position which will allow a bit more interpretive space, suggest that to call the Bible the "Word of God" simply means that God inspired the Bible's human authors. It is still God's word, but some room is created to allow for human error in the sacred text. At least people holding this position give evidence of the fact that they know enough about the biblical text not to want to ascribe it all to God!

Others, who are still bound, albeit even more loosely, to the traditional claim that the scriptures contain or reveal the "Word of God" suggest that what this phrase really means is that people in every generation continue to hear the "Word of God" through the reading of these ancient and time-bound texts. This position is frequently adopted by those who are moving toward the edges of institutional Christian life. It is as if they sense that without an authoritative Bible undergirding their faith, there is little or nothing holding it up. The struggle to secure the authority of the Bible is therefore an enormously important issue.

Was this claim for the Bible to be the "Word of God," no matter how it is interpreted, ever appropriate for this volume which contains sixty-six books (or even more if you count the Apocrypha) that were written over a period of perhaps twelve hundred years? Can such a claim stand even the barest scrutiny? Is this claim not the primary source from which evil has flowed so freely from the Christian church throughout Christian history?" (pages 16 - 17)

So, Spong discussed three different possible interpretation of the meaning, "This is the Word of God." Then, Spong goes on to give examples as to why the literal, strict claim "This is the Word of God" is inherently absurd in our world today:

"I do not understand how anyone can saddle God with the assumptions that are made by the biblical authors, warped as they are both by their lack of knowledge and by the tribal and sexist prejudices of that ancient time. Do we honor God when we assume that the primitive consciousness found on the pages of scripture, even when it is attributed to God, is somehow righteous? Can the Bible be the "Word of God" when it has Samuel order King Saul in the name of God to 'Go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have; do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass' (1 Sam. 15:3)? Is it the "Word of God" when the Psalmist writes about the Babylonians who have conquered Judah: 'Happy shall he be who requites you with what you have done to us! Happy shall he be who takes your little ones and dashes them against the rocks' (Ps. 137:8 - 9)?

Many of these biblical assertions have floated across the Internet in a vareity of versions, making good reading for a biblically illiterate nation. According to the Bible, one of these Internet offerings noted, it is permissible to sell one's daughter into slavery (Exod. 21:7). It is of interest that sons as candidates for slavery are never mentioned.

The execution squads would have to work overtime to keep up with the number of texts from the Bible that call for the death penalty. Violating the Sabbath (Exod. 35:2), cursing (Lev. 24:13 - 14) and blaspheming (Lev. 24:16) are among them. Such judgments would fall most heavily on athletic locker rooms used in preperation for Saturday or Sunday football games! But of course no one should be playing football anyway, for Leviticus also prohibits touching anything made of pigskin (Lev. 11:7 - 8)! Even stubborn and rebellious children are at risk of capital punishment, according to the Bible. If children do not obey their parents, if they overeat or drink too much, they are to be stoned at the gates of the city (Deut. 21:18 - 21)." (pages 18 - 19)

And in addition to Spong's discussion of this issue, I would like to add my own amusement of those who pick and choose passages of Leviticus that conveniently fits their political agenda, such as passages in Leviticus that they interpret as condemning romantic love between two men or two women, but ignoring other passages they ought to follow, such as not wearing clothing of mixed fabric, avoding certain types of seafood, and so forth.

I'm also troubled the high biblical illiteracy of Americans today. For instance, the biblical account of Sodom seems to condemn rape, not love between two men or two women.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

This is the Word of God when it agrees with me.
    ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Ppl, I find, are generally stupid.

1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning. - John 1:1-2

The Word of God is Jesus. Jesus, sent to man to be man, and free them from their sins. And, you wanna know where you find their sins? Where you find their struggles and hardsips and payments for their sins? In the Old Testament!

Christians who hold up the Old Testament as a method by which to live, make laws, and decisions are not true Christians IMO because they have neglected the highest authority; Jesus, The Word of God.

Imagine if our rulers ruled like those in the Old Testament... wait, nm.
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        Ppl, I find, are generally stupid.

Now that's being too harsh. How about, "A large number of people seem to be grossly ignorant when it comes to the Bible."

Comment

An "article" on "faith"

God, We’re Good

As even casual book-readers know by now, atheism has recently caught on fire. (Pun on hellfire and damnation largely not intended.) Books denying His existence are selling like hotcakes. Perhaps the damned are more voracious readers?

Hence the visitor to his neighborhood bookstore sees umpteen copies of the following tomes: God Is Not As Great As Christopher Hitchens by Christopher Hitchens; The God Delusion: How the “Selfish Gene” Makes Perfect Sense But Yahweh Is an Obvious Fraud by Richard Dawkins; and The Denial of God and the Curse of “Family Feud” by Richard Dawson.

As far as we can intuit, if you’re willing to risk eternity in hell, you can make a really quick buck these days by ripping on organized religion. And this, according to some, is worth it—even if you’re compelled to stand next to Satan whilst listening to Billy Joel records forever. A high price indeed.

Naturally, these anti-God volumes serve as a corollary to the numerous titles in defense of particular faiths. You know, like Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis, Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, and How to Build a Bomb by K. S. Mohammed. We’d wager that there’s still a heck of a market for such pious monographs.

Even so, dear reader, we, the crack young staff of “The Hatemonger’s Quarterly,” have recognized that a gap remains in the field of religious titles. Sure, there are oodles of anti-theist books and sundry theist books. But what about agnostics?

If you ask us, a rip-roaring polemic urging agnosticism on the part of its readership could even outsell that drink-sodden ex-Trotskyite popinjay Christopher Hitchens. All one must compose is a biting, mordant tome demonstrating why agnosticism is the only sensible route.

But there’s a bit of a problem with this. After all, as the sales figures show, only scabrous screeds on religion sell lots of copies. No one wants to read a careful, dry academic study that fails to simplify religion to the point of absurdity. And one might think that agnosticism, by its very nature, rebels from the spirit of polemic.

Ah, yet that’s where we, the crack young staff of “The Hatemonger’s Quarterly,” come in. Below we’ve offered a variety of potential titles to agnostic jeremiads (if you will). These titles should stir up the blood and get an author’s creative juices flowing.

An Official List of Rip-Roaring Titles for Agnostic Polemics:

1) God May or May Not Be Great: It’s Difficult to Tell

2) We Cannot Determine for Certain Whether God Exists, Though, Sadly, We Know That Richard Dawkins Is Real

3) If God Exists, He Drinks a Lot Less Than Christopher Hitchens

4) If God Exists, Why Does Phil Collins?

5) Agnosticism: The Only Sort-of True Sort-of Non-Faith

6) Just in Case: Agnosticism, or Atheism for Wusses
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I'm halfway convinced to become atheist souly for #4
            Monkey!!!

Comment

The Bible is the word of God in that it is inspired by Him.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                The Bible is the word of God in that it is inspired by Him.

JM

That's frightening to think that someone who wrote passages sanctioning the execution of disobedient children was inspired by God.

Should we hold ourselves to such barbarism?

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                  That's frightening to think that someone who wrote passages sanctioning the execution of disobedient children was inspired by God.

Should we hold ourselves to such barbarism?
                  It's only barbarism because you've been indoctrinated into our "modern" culture. New != better.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Doesn't mean that is how we are meant to live our lives now. It does mean that it is part of the relationship between man and God, and reveals about that relationship.

Additionally, there is definitely a lot of barbarrianism in the OT, it was a barbaric time...

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael

It's only barbarism because you've been indoctrinated into our "modern" culture. New != better.

You're right. I'm going to have to insist that my sisters kill my nieces and nephews next time they disobey their parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                        Doesn't mean that is how we are meant to live our lives now.
                        I'm glad you and I agree.

Comment

You're right. I'm going to have to insist that my sisters kill my nieces and nephews next time they disobey their parents.
                          Sure, that's fine with me. Everyone has this silly notion that what God thinks is good has to fall in line with what our intuitive moral sense thinks is good. wtf is that? If our intuitive moral sense is what should guide us, why do we need God?
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

The OT is a revelation of the impossibility of man to be able to commune with God due to sin, and that only blood can satisfy his righteous requirement. From begginning to end, the OT points to the sacrifice of Jesus as the only way to commune with him. Without him you must blot out every sinful act, and avoid every sinful thing, in order for your prayers to be heard. The death of children, ox, etc. etc. is usually in reference to the heathen tribes living in the land (Israel) that must be rooted out in order to obtain God's blessing.

Land equals - your soul
                            Heathen = sin
                            death satisfies sin

Jesus made all of this obsolete by giving the ultimate sacrifice and satisfied the requirement - it is finished.

Comment

I'm glad you and I agree.
                              I am not suggesting that you throw out the Bible, or the OT. I am suggesting that you read it as a whole, rather then grabbing a single verse and saying that God wants you to do this..

This doesn't mean to ignore a single verse, but just like sentences in a book, they form a greater whole (Which is what is inpsired) then when just read singly.

Verses should not be read alone, without context.

Additionally, as others have mentioned, we all sin.. and bear the results of sin... homosexuals as well as heterosexuals. This classification of homosexuality as the one great sin is flat out wrong (it is something like blasphemy against the Holy Spirit, I think). Going through the Bible looking for rules that we are breaking is wrong, I think. Going through the Bible to learn about God (and His interactions with us) is good, and when we are moved to change our lives based upon what He has shown us, we should do so.

JM
                              Last edited by Jon Miller; July 23, 2007, 12:19.
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X