Economist writes against economy of magic in Harry Potter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    the money is only made and useful for buying stuff from Muggles (Rare) or buying important things that can't be created from thin air (magical things and the like)

Or food. Remember its one of the five things that can't be magically created (I wonder what that other four are... perhaps clothing is one of them).
    [/QUOUte]

Doesn't dumbledorf magically create a feast for the first years when they first arrive at the school in the first book?
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

[SIZE=1] Originally posted by General Ludd
      Doesn't dumbledorf magically create a feast for the first years when they first arrive at the school in the first book?
      Nope... remember in GoF, it was revealed that the house elves made all that food and DD just brings it up from the kitchens.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I've only read half the first book, so i don't remember that. What was the spell for, then?
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

... for bringing it up from the kitchens.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Agree with the quotation in first post and Blake on the first page. I tried reading HP but it somehow 'didn't feel right', which I now understand.
            I used to attribute it to the fact that there was two worlds 'real' and 'magic', which is byself a general flaw of reasoning and puts HP strictly into 'childhood fantasy' or 'half fantasy' (a fantasy which is not full in terms of the creation of environment and needs to be tied to current reality in some way thus becoming a lesser sister to full blown fantasy) genre. I didn't realize that the feeling of not being right comes from deeper conflicts in the concept, but it is now solidly put and I completely agree.
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

which is byself a general flaw of reasoning and puts HP strictly into 'childhood fantasy' or 'half fantasy' (a fantasy which is not full in terms of the creation of environment and needs to be tied to current reality in some way thus becoming a lesser sister to full blown fantasy)

What an idiotic statement. LOTR isn't better than other books just because Tolkein was a nutter and invented an entire new language and mythology (along with the world). There's nothing "inferior" about fiction that doesn't invent entirely new worlds - in fact, there's a lot to recommend it.

Comment

The Balrogs weren't "created" by Morgoth, I suppose, but rather altered by him. Balrogs were once Maiar, the same group of beings as Sauron, Gandalf, Saruman... the angelic order. Balrogs were Maiar who turned to evil, and then Morgoth took them and made them into Balrogs.

He didn't "create" orcs or trolls either, though, if you look at it that way.

Elf ---> Orc/Goblin
                Ent ---> Troll

Dragons he may have actually created, but I'd imagine he had something to work on...

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

For example?

I'm not saying LOTR or any other book is better, but tying real world with some kind of fantasy world requires less fantasy on the authors' part and drops the 'feasibility' of that fantasy.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Narnia.

Comment

LotR >>>> Narnia.

The Hobbit > Narnia, but that one's closer.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        LotR >>>> Narnia.

Comment

I'm not saying Tolkien created anything, though he sure changed some concepts (like trolls being something else in norse mythology than they are by Tolkien). Tolkien created a world which kinda worked - things where put somewhat well together. HP, as pointed out, has quite a lot 'potholes', things that don't go together with the story or sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker

And, in turn, Narnia > Harry Potter.

I jest, actually. I think HP might be better.

-Arrian

Comment

Never read Narnia, so can't comment. The movie was kinda boring though.

Comment

In defense of the book, don't judge it by the movie. I haven't read it in a long time, but I recall it being better than THAT.

-Arrian

Comment

Working...
                                X