Classy castles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classy castles

This is Nunney Castle, near Frome in western England.

It was started in 1373 by a knight who had been entranced by castles in France, and is a rare British example of a chateau-style castle, rather than your typical hulking concentric-style British fortress. This meant that it was fairly useless as a defensive structure and its one great stand in the English Civil War lasted just one day- the besieging forces just parked a cannon across the narrow moat and started blazing away.

This picture makes it look bigger than it really is- it's a bijou little castle-ette nestling in a quiet village well off the tourist trail. It's well worth a visit.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

I've allways like the Neuschwanstein Castle...

Rather fantasyish, straight from The Settlers. Or Lego-castle series, what you called those...
    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I always hated that one, pseudo-medieval like it is
      Blah

Comment

I like Warwick Castle, it's very "castle-ish"
        Attached Files
        In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Classy in a way that it did its job (in being hard to storm)
          is IMHO Montsegur

It was the refuge of the last Katharans in France during the Albigensian crusades of the catholic church in france and took the catholic churches a siege of 10 months till the defenders were forced to give up (which was only due to lack of food and the fact that the catholics finally were able to get some Trebuchets onto the mountain and into firing range)
          (the ruins shown are btw. if the second castle of Montsegur; the remnants of the first castle were totally destroyed by the catholics after the siege).
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Haut-Koeningsbourg does it for me.

DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
              AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
              AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
              DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Somebody already posted Neuschwanstein.
                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                  Classy in a way that it did its job (in being hard to storm)
                  is IMHO Montsegur

It was the refuge of the last Katharans in France during the Albigensian crusades of the catholic church in france and took the catholic churches a siege of 10 months till the defenders were forced to give up (which was only due to lack of food and the fact that the catholics finally were able to get some Trebuchets onto the mountain and into firing range)
                  (the ruins shown are btw. if the second castle of Montsegur; the remnants of the first castle were totally destroyed by the catholics after the siege).

Don't go there, honestly. Its curse struck me, unbeliever, just when it got in sight: Our car first lost motor oil, then the cardan wave gave up - both at the same time, on a friday afternoon!
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

What did you do?
                    bleh

Comment

Too late, I was there years ago during a trip we made while we had an excursion to southern france, studying marine invertebrates.
                      We were having a break at the Prats des cramats and then climbed up to the castle.

The curse that struck us afterwards was caused by our headless excursion leader. It was planned to make a foot march from montsegur to one of the next villages (don´t know the name anymore). A hill was located in the midst of the route and from 2 possible hilltops he chose the wrong one, forcing us to climb this hill down and then having a steep climb up to the top of the other hill
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by CrONoS
                        What did you do?
                        Apply my few words of French at a gas station, where I could not make myself understand until a nice British fellow came along and helped me translating. Then call the renter of our van with our private cell phone several times who wouldn't help us much and freaking didn't even exactly know how the van was insured (we had kind of a fight with that guy when we got back over several financial matters). Then call the automobile club in Austria several times (talk about roaming fees!) who were kind enough to organize a French mechanist that very evening, even though it was actually the matter of the renter. The mechanist said we could continue a few km to a nearby campsite and they'd get the piece some day the next week.
                        The campsite was the best thing that happened to us, it was huge, we were almost alone - simply great. We stayed there for 4 days.
                        "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                        "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

oh i love castles

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

Don't go there, honestly. Its curse struck me, unbeliever, just when it got in sight: Our car first lost motor oil, then the cardan wave gave up - both at the same time, on a friday afternoon!
                            Why did you copy cronos' avatar?
                            THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                            AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                            AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                            DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                              Why did you copy cronos' avatar?
                              Well, it's ask Wernazuma day, so I'll simply tell you that he copied mine.

No, honestly, it's just coincidence - Goya is an awesome painter.

Comment

Working...
                              X