Question to the American immigrants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question to the American immigrants

To Americans with European blood in them (no need for Indians to respond): who of you has ancestors that travelled from Europe to America on the Red Star Line?

If you don't know, try checking one of the sites here.

You may find a ship name and to verify whether it was part of the Red Star Line you can check here (also includes lists of other shipping companies).
    DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

I'm going to check these out. They look interesting.
    My people came here from Tennessee. To Texas.
    They came to Texas from Tennessee, not Ellis Island, for instance.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Nobody? The Red Star Line shipped 3 million people to America, so there's bound to be a few of you who have ancestors who were on it.
      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

My family travelled over on a Boeing 747. Fortunately we had return tickets.
        Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
        -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
          Nobody? The Red Star Line shipped 3 million people to America, so there's bound to be a few of you who have ancestors who were on it.
          Half of my family arrived in the U.S. in the late 17th-early 18th century. The rest arrived during the second half of the 19th century, but, coming from eastern Germany and various parts of Austria-Hungary, they all left from Hamburg, not Antwerp.
          Last edited by Wycoff; July 21, 2007, 10:24.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

What is the time period of the Red Star Line?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Between 1873 and 1935 the Red Star Line shipping company transported almost three million people from Antwerp to America and Canada. ...
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Wycoff

Half of my family arrived in the U.S. in the late 17th-early 18th century. The rest arrived during the second half of the 19th century, but, coming from eastern Germany and various parts of Austria-Hungary, they all left from Hamburg, not Antwerp.
                That other half of your family probably sailed on the Hamburg America Line then.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                  That other half of your family probably sailed on the Hamburg America Line then.
                  Yeah. Though I don't remember all of the ships off hand, I know that one of my great-grandfathers came over on the Amerika in 1905.
                  I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Ah, thanks for spotting that. I doubt many of my ancestors came on either of those lines. Most on the Germans in my family came pre-1847; most of those who came after were Irish rather than mainlanders.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I think at least one of my ancestors came in that time period from that area. I don't know details though. I could find out, my great grandmother died recently, and she remembered a time when her family spoke dutch (she was born in America though, and her parents also, I think).

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN
                      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Do you know any last names?

Comment

I am sure I can ask, or maybe even just look in my email archive. Maybe I will do so when I call my mom this week

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Do ask. Maybe you got ancestors from around here, although more probably from the Netherlands. Not a lot of Belgians crossed the pond.

Incidentally, the mother of the ambassador to Belgium, Sam Fox (I understand there was ruckus about his appointment), travelled on the Red Star Line.

Comment

One of my ancestors crossed the Atlantic on the Sarah Constance . I think that may have preceeded the Red Star Line.
                              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Working...
                              X