No announcement yet.

Homosexuality: Taboo and gene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, first off. A gene makes A protein (roughly speaking. We don't need to go into the ins and outs of it right now.) A protein does one or so set tasks. They catalyse reactions. They import materials. They provide structural support. A protein does not make me gay. A gene does not make me gay.

Sexuality, like most human genetics, is a subtle and multi-gene event interacting with environmental factors. To try to reduce the arguement down to 'a gay gene' not only misrepresents the science and biology but also ultimately gets no one anywhere.

Our favourite Jew Lord of the Mark gives a good explanation on why traits that may terminate personal lineage (ie, no kids for me) survive on (ie, lots of kids for those genetically related to me).
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Thank Star!

After your post I look through wikipedia, and I've found this:

Which mainly repeat what you say, but with more informations:

Biology and sexual orientation
      bleh

Comment

I think that homosexuality is genetic. You see it in animals where there would be no social advantage/etc.
        There is always a social advantage, warfare is better fought by "free" adults than new parents. And "free" adults available to raise youngens in case the parents are dead is another advantage.

There must be a study on the % of offspring of gays who are themselves gay in comparison to straight parents.

Comment

A gene makes A protein (roughly speaking. We don't need to go into the ins and outs of it right now.) A protein does one or so set tasks. They catalyse reactions. They import materials. They provide structural support. A protein does not make me gay. A gene does not make me gay.
          Unless that protein effects parts of the brain in a different fashion than it does straight people, or that protein is different such that the receptors in the brain react to the protien different. Receptors are built by genes, proteins are secreted by genes as response. A variation in a G protein-coupled receptor could, theoretically, cause one to be attracted to a certain type, even one of their own sex.
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
          X