• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From our no S*** Sherlock department:

linkski

Discrimination on the American Job

New study focuses on seven diverse groups

By Rosemary Haefner for CareerBuilder.com and Nina Ramsey for Kelly Services

On the heels of a recent landmark Supreme Court ruling on discriminatory pay practices, CareerBuilder.com and Kelly Services have released a survey that found one-in-five working Americans feel they have faced discrimination on the job. Even though there are federal laws which prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, disability and other characteristics, bias and pay inequities in the workplace remain a persistent problem. In fact, last year, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) received 75,768 discrimination charges against private sector employers. The most frequent charges were race (27,238), followed by sex (23,247) and retaliation against reporting discrimination (22,555). Other frequently cited charge bases were age (16,548), disability (15,575), national origin (8,327) and religion (2,541). The joint study, conducted by Harris Interactive, surveyed diverse and non-diverse workers across the country and segmented them into seven major groups, including African American, Hispanic, Asian, Female, Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgender (GLBT), Individuals with disabilities and Mature workers age 50 or older. The study's goals were to:

Gauge the frequency, severity and occasion for the perception of discrimination or unfair treatment in the workplace,

Learn whether employee diversity is valued, and

Measure how diversity affects hiring decisions, compensation and career advancement.

Discrimination or Unfair Treatment in the Workplace

Twenty-three percent of diverse workers said they had been discriminated against or treated unfairly in the workplace based on their background. Thirty percent said it happens at least once a week. How are workers experiencing discrimination? Most frequently feelings of discrimination or unfair treatment involved:

Not receiving credit for one's work (48 percent)

Not having concerns addressed or taken seriously (42 percent)

Having co-workers talking behind one's back (33 percent)

Being overlooked for a promotion (32 percent)

Not being assigned to projects that will help worker gain more visibility in the company (32 percent)

Having co-workers say derogatory comments to or in front of worker (31 percent)

Feeling ideas or input are generally ignored (30 percent)

Unfortunately, most of the allegations of discrimination or unfair treatment goes unaddressed. Half (50 percent) of diverse workers who experienced discrimination or unfair treatment said they did not report the incident. Of those who did report, in 73 percent of the cases the offender was not held accountable. When asked why those being discriminated against stay with their current employer, more than half (64 percent) said they could not afford to quit.

Diversity -- Hiring and Firing

When applying for a new job, 32 percent of diverse workers said their diverse backgrounds work against them, 11 percent said it works in their favor. In terms of involuntary termination, one-in-ten diverse workers (11 percent) said they believed they had been fired at some point in their career based on their diverse background. The good news is more and more employers are recognizing the positive impact diversity has on the work culture and overall business performance. Diverse perspectives fuel rich idea generation, creativity and strong problem-solving and companies are taking measures to embrace and cultivate a diverse environment. When seeking employment, job seekers should look for a healthy, balanced and diverse work culture. Does the company have formal policies against discrimination and prescribed reporting processes to address concerns? Does the company foster a work environment that embraces and cultivates diversity and open communications? Does the company routinely evaluate their hiring practices, leadership development and succession practices?

Where to Get Help

If you feel like you have been the victim of discrimination, the first place you should go to is your Human Resources department. Working with your internal representatives to address your issues is extremely important. Employers have a vested interest to ensure all employees feel valued. In many cases, line managers or supervisors engaging in improper behavior continue the behavior because the proper channels within the organization are not tapped until the situation is irreparable.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

I'd rather see data on salaries (and terminations/layoffs) for workers doing the same job, split by race/gender/etc, rather than hear about how many people "feel" or "believe" they've been discriminated against.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I'd rather women quit whining and finished doing the dishes already.

Comment

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          I'd rather women quit whining and finished doing the dishes already.
          What?! You don't have Mexicans to do that!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Is there anyone who believes they were passed over because they are stupid, lazy, incompenant, *******s or unnessecary?

One of the great things about America, it is never your fault
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Seriously.

Comment

Since I'm white, male, straight, average size, and I don't look like a crazy whacko, any time I fail to get a job I know it's because my potential employer was too dumb to hire me.
                Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I agree
                    "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Lorizael
                      Since I'm white, male, straight, average size, and I don't look like a crazy whacko, any time I fail to get a job I know it's because my potential employer was too dumb to hire me.
                      Especially for that CEO of that Fortune 200 company... morans.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

No, no, no - it's because they're giving preferrential treatment to lesser qualified minorities, or women, or people with disabilities, etc.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          ...lesser qualified minorities, or women, or people with disabilities, etc.
                          Redundant.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Since I'm white, male, straight, average size, and I don't look like a crazy whacko, am I discriminated against when these things happen to me??

Not receiving credit for one's work (48 percent)

Not having concerns addressed or taken seriously (42 percent)

Having co-workers talking behind one's back (33 percent)

Not being assigned to projects that will help worker gain more visibility in the company (32 percent)

Feeling ideas or input are generally ignored (30 percent

---------------------------------------------

I know that discrimination exists and some people face major issues from bigoted idiots but so much of the stuff on the list is stuff that happens to everyone and would always happen even if the entire workplace was white males or it it was all blind, Hispanic, transvestite amputees. Workplaces are inherently political places where people try to make themselves look good in order to secure advancement.
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Working...
                            X