175 feared dead in Brazil plane crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 175 feared dead in Brazil plane crash

SAO PAULO, Brazil - A passenger jet crashed and burst into flames after skidding off a runway at Brazil's busiest airport Tuesday and barreling across a busy highway during rush hour, officials said. All 175 people on board were feared dead.

The crash happened in a driving rain on a runway at Congonhas airport that had been criticized in the past for being too short. The TAM Airlines jet slammed into a gas station and a building owned by the airline, said Jose Leonardi Mota, a spokesman with airport authority Infraero.

TV footage showed flames and clouds of black smoke billowing into the air after the crash.

"I was told that the temperature inside the plane was 1,000 degrees (Celsius), so the chances of there being any survivors are practically nil," Sao Paulo State Gov. Jose Serra told reporters at the airport. That temperature in Celsius is equivalent to about 1,830 degrees Fahrenheit.

TAM Airlines initially said there were 176 people on board the Airbus 320, then later lowered the total to 175 — 169 passengers and six crew members.

Vans used by Sao Paulo's morgue sped away from the site hours after the crash and a doctor helping rescue workers told CBN radio that efforts were being made to identify 30 bodies.

"I can verify 30 burned bodies and I know that there are burned bodies in another location," Dr. Douglas Ferraz said in the interview.

As many as 12 people on the ground were injured and taken to hospitals, Serra said.

TAM worker Elias Rodrigues Jesus, walking near the site just as the crash happened, told The Associated Press that the jet exploded in between the gas station and a warehouse owned by TAM.

"All of a sudden I heard a loud explosion, and the ground beneath my feet shook," said Jesus, who added that he saw one charred body. "I looked up and I saw a huge ball of fire, and then I smelled the stench of kerosene and sulfur."

TAM Linhas Aereas flight 3054 was en route to Sao Paulo from the southern Brazilian city of Porto Alegre when the crash occurred upon landing, TAM said in a statement.

Distraught relatives of passengers crowded TAM's check-in counters in Porto Alegre, complaining hours after the crash that the airline had not released a passenger list, Globo TV reported.

Critics have said for years that such an accident was possible at the airport because its runway is too short for large planes landing in rainy weather.

A federal court in February briefly banned takeoffs and landings of large jets because of safety concerns at the airport, which handles huge volumes of flights for the massive domestic Brazilian air travel market.

But an appeals court overruled the ban, saying it was too harsh because it would have severe economic ramifications and that there were not enough safety concerns to prevent the planes from landing and taking off at the airport.

Tuesday's crash came 10 months after Brazil's deadliest crash, a September collision between a Gol Aerolinhas Inteligentes SA Boeing 737 and an executive jet over the Amazon rainforest.

All 154 people on the Gol jet died. The executive jet landed safely.

The crash highlighted Brazil's increasing aviation woes, as a surge in travelers overwhelms underfunded air traffic control systems. A Brazilian judge indicted four flight controllers and the smaller jet's two U.S. pilots on the equivalent of manslaughter charges, but the defendants point to other problems — from holes in radar coverage to the inability of some Brazilian controllers to clearly speak English, the language of international aviation.

Controllers — concerned about being made scapegoats — have engaged in strikes and work slowdowns to raise safety concerns, causing or exacerbating lengthy delays and cancelations.

Angry travelers have stormed airline check-in counters and runways in Brazil, and fistfights have broken out in waiting areas.

Link

This is horrible
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

**** happens

and millions of people have died in Congo over the past 10 years because of civil strife, hunger and disease...

yet I don't see too many threads on that..
    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

You must have missed them.

I'd say their outlook on withstanding those temperatures are pretty accurate. I wouldn't want to be over maybe 115f.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've landed at that airport, and did notice that the runway was quite short.
        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
          **** happens

and millions of people have died in Congo over the past 10 years because of civil strife, hunger and disease...

Well why didn't you start a thread about the Congo if you care so much?
          Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Very sad

I feel it could have been me, altough ive only landed in rio
            I need a foot massage

Comment

Makes one wonder, though; why aren't there regulations against building gas stations near the ends of runways? Obviously, no one intends planes to run off of the runway, but **** happens... and why make the situation potentially much more dangerous? It nearly happened a few years ago at Burbank...

Comment

apparantly the runway is a known safety hazard and has bad problems of water accumulation. It was set to have grooves put in in the near future. but it hadn't been done yet. Also 3 types of jets were banned, but was overturned in the courts as it would hurt the city economically. . And you guys think big business runs the U.S.? Happens everywhere. greed is everywhere.

And yes, having a gas station at the end of a runway is silly.

I'm happy this has made the news and got its own thread. I'm tired of america centric disasters. Seems most of the time you hear about a plane crash, is because americans were involved.

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

And yeah, if someone wants to discuss the miserable mess that is the Congo, start a thread.

-Arrian
                    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

The fuel depot wasn't exactly at the end but the plane apparently took a turn when trying to go up again - map at link.

Hope that appeal court judge gets an investigation.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by Traianvs
                        **** happens

The Congo war ended several years ago. As for ongoing hunger and disease, that doesnt make headlines, as it happens every day. OTOH we've had threads in the past on general 3rd world poverty, and on africa in particular. Feel free to start another one.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

This is horrible for the people involved, but I mean this kind of news gets the media so much easier than latent conflicts that nevertheless affect more people. I was drunk as hell when I posted that message, it's just something that bothered me about news coverage that's all, sry..
                          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                          "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Why are they ''feared'' dead?

The plane crashed for gods sake.

Of course the're dead...

Spec.
                            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spec
                              Why are they ''feared'' dead?

The plane crashed for gods sake.

Of course the're dead...

Spec.
                              The plane allegedly crashed, Spec. Let's not be presumptuous; do you want to get sued?
                              Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                              "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Working...
                              X