Cerne Abbas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cerne Abbas

Seeing as it's currently in the news, thanks to the deeply insensitive publicists for "The Simpsons", I thought it was time to feature the old priapic wonder.

The Cerne Abbas giant is a huge chalk hill-carving (180 feet tall) of a man waving a club and sporting an impressive erection. It's in Dorset, England.

The image below shows the carving in its current state-

Its antiquity is disputed- some claim it's no more that 350 years old, though I find the arguments in favour of that notion pretty weak.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Mmm, donut.

Sorry...

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

On his left hand, a fur(or a dead animal) was also there. But it's not visible today.
      bleh

Comment

looking on wikipedia.

I also found this:

The figure has been shown to date back some 3,000 years, to the Bronze Age, based on optically stimulated luminescence dating carried out following archaeological investigations in 1994. These studies produced three dates ranging between 1400 and 600 BC.
        bleh

Comment

Publicity Stunts

As a publicity stunt for the opening of The Simpsons movie in 2007, a giant Homer Simpson brandishing a doughnut was outlined in water-based biodegradable paint to the left of the Cerne Abbas giant. [2] [3] This act angered local pagans, who have pledged to perform rain magic to wash the figure away.
          bleh

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
            The rain magic thing is funny, but I think the people who put the Simpson thing there ought to be shot.
            Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
            And notifying the next of kin
            Once again...

Comment

Yes, Uffington is another famous one. As is this one, the Long Man of Wilmington.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij

The rain magic thing is funny, but I think the people who put the Simpson thing there ought to be shot.
                The action was misplaced.

But if they didn't touch the historical site, it's fine for me.
                bleh

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                  Yes, Uffington is another famous one. As is this one, the Long Man of Wilmington.

The difference between the Long Man of Wilmington(and Cerne Abbas) and the Horse, is the horse seems to be dated from 1000BC.

I didn't knew the Cerne Abbas, but looking on wikipedia there is some people proposing that it could be a prank from the mid 17th century.
                  bleh

Comment

Like I said, I don't have much time for that theory. It's only got one factor in its favour- that there are no documentary records of the momument prior to the 17th century.

Then again, that's true of many of Britain's most notable ancient monuments.

Comment

Update-

It seems that the "biodegradable" paint used by those ****ing Simpson publicists wasn't very biodegradable. Despite days of torrential rain, Homer is still very much present.

Comment

Doh!

Comment

Working...
                        X