Propose anime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propose anime

I recently watched Paranoia Agent, and had already seen Perfect blue, by the same creator. I did not like Paprika though.

Do you have any anime to suggest that i should watch?
    It could be either film or tv series.

Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue? So you like mind****s? OK! Watch Serial Experiments Lain and try not to end up in a very tight fetal position wondering if you can trust in anything or understand anything at all
    This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Hm, i watched the first episode of SEL.
      Nice idea with the email, however i did not like the drawing, and it seems way too much arbitrary (there is no clear sketch of lain's life in the real world, so no foundation for much contrast with the other world).

Any other suggestions? (i may watch the rest of the episodes still though )

Comment

Boogiepop Phantom was good. As was Blood+.

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Wraith is our resident anime expert. Search for his anime threads and you get more suggestions than you can handle...
          I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Yes. Look for the Anime Apolyton threads.

I have a few I'd recommend, but they're not in the same vein as the three you mentioned.
            B♭3

Comment

What are they about?
              I like mystery/horror/psychological

Comment

nm
                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

I did read Wraith's threads, but still there arent that many suggestions about horror/psychological mystery series.

And youtube does not seem to have more than 2 episodes of Serial experiments Lain..

Comment

Umm, I suggested some.

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I will add Millenium Actress.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

--"I did read Wraith's threads, but still there arent that many suggestions about horror/psychological mystery series."

I'm not particularly fond of the genre, so that's why I haven't mentioned many.

The first one that comes to mind is Monster. This one follows a hunt for a serial killer by the doctor who saved his life at one point. Can't go into much detail about it since I haven't seen much of it.

Top choice, if you're willing to go manga as well, would be Berserk. One of my favorite series, but the anime only covers one story arc out of the manga, and most of the stuff you're most interested in is concentrated in the parts that haven't been animated.

Boogiepop Phantom, mentioned above, is another good choice.

I wasn't fond of Blood myself. For vampire anime, the only (non-comic) one I really like is Vampire Princess Miyu, OVA only.

Less psychological than you want, perhaps, but 3x3 Eyes sounds like it would be up your alley. Unfortunately, the company that was translating the manga has canceled it, and the anime isn't the full story.

For something much further out in the art-movie end of the spectrum, consider Cat Soup. Very much like this one.

Not one I enjoyed personally, but that gets a lot of good reviews is Elfen Lied (no, nothing to do with lying, it's a German title).

The most recent series that would fit your requirements is probably Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, appearing as "When they Cry" in the US.

Anyway, as I said, not my favorite genre, so I can't give too much more information on most of these. Let me know if you're curious and I'll tell you more if I can, though.

--"I will add Millenium Actress."

Doesn't sound like it's what he's after. It's much more romance than any of the categories he listed.

Edit:
                        One more title I should probably add, although it isn't horror. Kino's Journey is one of the better anime, and at least fits the psychological side of things.

Wraith
                        "Death is so luscious and seductive. A sweet fruit that can only be tasted once. Tempted by that, how could anyone choose anything else?"
                        -- Megu ("Rozen Maiden")
                        Last edited by Wraith; July 20, 2007, 19:23.

Comment

Vampire Princes Miyu (OVA) Was great! I agree probably the best.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                            --"I did read Wraith's threads, but still there arent that many suggestions about horror/psychological mystery series."

I'm not particularly fond of the genre, so that's why I haven't mentioned many.

The first one that comes to mind is Monster. This one follows a hunt for a serial killer by the doctor who saved his life at one point. Can't go into much detail about it since I haven't seen much of it.
                            I have to give a HUGE recommendation to Monster. Since it has not been licensed in the US, I was able to see a freedub version online.

The only problem with the series is it's length, which runs 73 episode. That said, the series is a great psychological thriller. There are no fantastical or supernatural elements in the series, the writing, scripting, animation, and music all work perfectly, and for me it is a very different series from most Japanese series as only one main character is Japanese, the protagonist, but the whole series is set in Germany and the Czech Republic in the mid to late 90's.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I have seen 8 episodes of Monster, but its lenght is, for me, a disadvantage definately. Moreover it seems to be influenced from older anime series (the archevil character), and does not seem to be much about psychology, at least not in a subtle way..

Comment

Working...
                              X