Some questions about the english language

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions about the english language

Are everybody and everyone exact synonyms?

Whats the best way of saluting a group of people?

Hello people! Hi everybody! Hello everybody! Hi all!...??

And is you all proper english? or should I use just "you"?

well, that
    I need a foot massage

Re: Some questions about the english language

Originally posted by Barnabas

With the Full Double Rimmer.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Yes.

Just hello or hi works fine.

You all is fine, though informal. Substitute "y'all" in the South.

Comment

"Alright" accompanied with a nod tends to suffice. Drop the "alright" if well acquainted.
        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

well, that
          "You guys" (or as said around here "You guyses", I know its stupid) is the most common way to refer to a group of people. In the South (and by me), Y'all is the most common word used to refer to a group of people.
          USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
          The video may avatar is from

Comment

How y'all are?
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like "Hi folks".
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

"Alright" accompanied with a nod tends to suffice. Drop the "alright" if well acquainted.
                Pronounced "alreet" up north lol.
                Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

whazzup niggazz

Comment

Hi everybody!
                    Hi DrNick!
                    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Language names are written with a capital letter: English, French, Spanish.

Yes. If you're not talking about people, you use "every one" (e.g. every one of those chairs is rotten), not "everyone".

"All of you" works well.

Comment

hey guys

Comment

'Hello everyone' seems to fit best to me
                          In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

There is no "correct" second person plural in English. Prior to 1600 or so, "Thou" was singular, and "you" was plural. This went out of favor, and "you" became both singular and plural.

The absence is noted, and informal substitutes are used, at least on this side of the pond. You all and y'all are southern (I believe the former is more upland southern, while Y'all is more coastal/lowland southern) while "you guys" and its many variations is charecteristic of certain northern US metropolitan areas. I dislike "you guys", and feel that my years in the south and in almost southern Border state areas, entitles me to use "y'all" instead.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

i will never use the word "y'all". ickk.

Comment

Working...
                              X