Clear All

Stupid superstitions:

Comment

Progress

Comment

Progress is so XIXth century
        bleh

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; January 2, 2011, 21:48.
          Order of the Fly
          Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Your anium. Hehehe.
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I don't see what the problem is.

The Federal government has expressed its willingness to make this land part of Kakadu National Park (or whatever it is called). This man seems amenable to the suggestion. I think it is the best solution.

How would Americans feel if miners blew up Half Dome, or gutted Yellowstone for Uranium? Kakadu and this area is at least as beautiful as those.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Jeffrey Lee
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                  How would Americans feel if miners blew up Half Dome, or gutted Yellowstone for Uranium? Kakadu and this area is at least as beautiful as those.
                  I'd be down with that. Nuclear things are cool.
                  Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                  "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

"I'm not interested in white people offering me this or that … it doesn't mean a thing.

Racist bigot.

Comment

The article doesn't seem to give a lot of detail, but the fact that a company has a "mineral lease" probably means that the individual here either never owned the minerals or if they did, they leaseed them out (more likely the former from the context)

In Canada,in the oil and gas context a surface owner cannot simply prevent a party with mineral rights from accessing their minerals. WE actually have legislated processes to allow development and compensation for the surface owner. BUT a mine can be much more intrusive than a mine

However, there are two complexities here:

1. Aboriginal rights/ lands-- the rules on these often are confusing or simply do not exist

2. It seems this is a park area or wilderness area-- that can change everything

I wondered if there are possible compromises. If the mine concept is "open pit", probably not but if it is a deeper deposit, it may be possible to locate the mine entrance and the associated facilities and trucking a few more kilometres away from any sensitive areas. Whether this is possible depends on how large and how sensitive the areas that people wish to protect are
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

oops DP
                        Last edited by Flubber; July 16, 2007, 12:26.
                        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

A couple of other comments

1.Industry can sometimes try to avoid sensitive areas. OIl companies frequently use directional drilling when accessing petroleum under sensitive lands or townsites or any otehr areas where surface access is problematic.

2. Since the guy apparently has no heirs, he is probably smart to try to get the land into a park. I know even here in Calgary, people with an environmental purpose donated their riverfront woodlands to a foundation to try to ensure it would not be developped and 'could be enjoyed by all Calgarians". IT is not hard to find people that would share his purpose to protect some lands and he probably could get a fair bit of support for an anti-mining stance.

Comment

Aren't you guys forgetting something? There are spirits and as if that were not enough, a blue tounged lizard that must not be disturbed.

We've been warned! We dare not cross these ancient taboos. Nuf said.
                            Long time member @ Apolyton
                            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                              Aren't you guys forgetting something? There are spirits and as if that were not enough, a blue tounged lizard that must not be disturbed.

We've been warned! We dare not cross these ancient taboos. Nuf said.
                              I'm with Lancer on this one.
                              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                              And notifying the next of kin
                              Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                                The Federal government has stated it will respect traditional ownership rights.

Your whitey laws don't take precedence here, sonny.
                                Then the federal government needs to declare eminent domain on the lease and compensate the French company fairly for the rights.
                                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                                X