Evolution at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trev
    No big deal, one minor gene change, just a minor evolving to deal with a parasite, Influenza viruses, bacteria, HIV are doing this all the time and many other life forms in their battle against antibodies or antibiotics etc. It is an huge exaggeration to say that this is evolution at its quickest, just normal natural selection in a species.
    But all that natural selection builds up over time, resulting in big changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Well there is no sign that evolution has ever happened where I work
      Maybe meetings have become a lifeform capable of calling themselves and thus reproducing via human hosts. [/Dilbert]
      Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin
      Iain Banks missed deadline due to Civ | The eyes are the groin of the head. - Dwight Schrute.
      One more turn .... One more turn .... | WWTSD

Comment

I've just mentioned meetings in another thread. It is true. Although I would say it is a symbiosis myself. Many humans use them as an excuse to do f**k all for an hour or two
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Evolution at work is BeBro took over his job from a chimp.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I've already done that line of joke, and to be frank, I did it far better
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Yeah, alright, you got me there. God it is
              Clearly the butterflies prayed to God to help them.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

The bemoaning of IDers and God Squaddies in this thread is sad. Sad indeed. And a waste. Such a waste.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I'll have you know there has been no bemoaning...I have stuck strictly to sarcasm
                  Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                    The bemoaning of IDers and God Squaddies in this thread is sad. Sad indeed. And a waste. Such a waste.
                    Where?
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Via sarcasm.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

The team first documented the massive imbalance in the sex ratio of the blue moon butterfly (Hypolimnas bolina) on the Samoan islands of Savaii and Upolu in 2001.

In 2006, they started a new survey after an increase in reports of male sightings at Upolo.

They found that the numbers of male butterflies had either reached or were approaching those of females.
                        How do they even know a gene is involved, or a parasite? The male population may undergo cyclical bottlenecks for several reasons, including the changing size of the parasite population.

Comment

I think you'll find divergence of species takes a little longer
                          Apparently not, I once read about this case that involved a fish population in some river that got split for some reason (I realise that bit isn't too informative, but my memory is hazy ATM) and within several generations the groups were unable to interbreed. Inability to breed with another species is a core definition of species AFAIK.
                          DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

How do they even know a gene is involved, or a parasite? The male population may undergo cyclical bottlenecks for several reasons, including the changing size of the parasite population.
                            Perhaps they've done, erm, research? The article clearly stated the mechanism, which indicates to me that they actually know the mechanism...
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by Colon™

Apparently not, I once read about this case that involved a fish population in some river that got split for some reason (I realise that bit isn't too informative, but my memory is hazy ATM) and within several generations the groups were unable to interbreed. Inability to breed with another species is a core definition of species AFAIK.
                              It is, although that might not be meaningful speciation (the species might not be meaningfully different, just a small mutation is necessary). But it certainly can occur in small batches...
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X