Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evolution at work

Butterfly shows evolution at work

Scientists say they have seen one of the fastest evolutionary changes ever observed in a species of butterfly.

The tropical blue moon butterfly has developed a way of fighting back against parasitic bacteria.

Six years ago, males accounted for just 1% of the blue moon population on two islands in the South Pacific.

But by last year, the butterflies had evolved a gene to keep the bacteria in check and male numbers were up to about 40% of the population.

Scientists believe the comeback is due to "suppressor" genes that control the Wolbachia bacteria that is passed down from the mother and kills the male embryos before they hatch.

"To my knowledge, this is the fastest evolutionary change that has ever been observed," said Sylvain Charlat, of University College London, UK, whose study appears in the journal Science.

Rapid natural selection

Gregory Hurst, a University College researcher who worked with Mr Charlat, added: "We usually think of natural selection as acting slowly, over hundreds of thousands of years.

"But the example in this study happened in the blink of the eye, in terms of evolutionary time, and is a remarkable thing to get to observe."

The team first documented the massive imbalance in the sex ratio of the blue moon butterfly (Hypolimnas bolina) on the Samoan islands of Savaii and Upolu in 2001.

In 2006, they started a new survey after an increase in reports of male sightings at Upolo.

They found that the numbers of male butterflies had either reached or were approaching those of females.

The researchers are not sure whether the gene that suppressed the parasite emerged from a mutation in the local population or whether it was introduced by migratory Southeast Asian butterflies in which the mutation already existed.

But they said that the repopulation of male butterflies illustrates rapid natural selection, a process in which traits that help a species survive become more prominent in a population.

"We're witnessing an evolutionary arms race between the parasite and the host. This strengthens the view that parasites can be major drivers in evolution," Mr Charlat said.
    BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Liars
    Blah

God did it
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

The stinger is brilliantly correct in so many levels
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

You can tell from the names that this is all wrong. I mean, Mr Charlat, if that doesn't mean he's a charlatan then I don't know.....

Blah

Comment

A miracle! God planned and caused this beautiful mutation!
          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is no parasite.
            Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

I've seen faster evolution at work with the fleas on my cat - who seem to adapt within days of her being treated with various products.
              Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

No big deal, one minor gene change, just a minor evolving to deal with a parasite, Influenza viruses, bacteria, HIV are doing this all the time and many other life forms in their battle against antibodies or antibiotics etc. It is an huge exaggeration to say that this is evolution at its quickest, just normal natural selection in a species.

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela
                  I've seen faster evolution at work with the fleas on my cat - who seem to adapt within days of her being treated with various products.
                  I use Domestos. Works every time, but the vet bills are huuuge.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by trev
                    No big deal, one minor gene change, just a minor evolving to deal with a parasite, Influenza viruses, bacteria, HIV are doing this all the time and many other life forms in their battle against antibodies or antibiotics etc. It is an huge exaggeration to say that this is evolution at its quickest, just normal natural selection in a species.
                    It is just an easy example to combat the ID people that say evolution has only been seen in microorganisms (we all know that is bollocks anyway).
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

This doesn't combat ID people at all. There's no mention of speciation.
                      Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                      "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I think you'll find divergence of species takes a little longer
                        Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Weasel! Just admit there's no such thing as evolution.
                          Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                          "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

Yeah, alright, you got me there. God it is
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Evolution at work
                              Well there is no sign that evolution has ever happened where I work
                              Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                              X