Sea piracy rises around the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea piracy rises around the world

A phenomena initiated by Captain Jack Sparrow?

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia - Pirate attacks have increased sharply, especially in Somalia and Nigeria, an international maritime watchdog agency said Thursday.

There were 85 attacks on ships in the April-June quarter, up from 66 in the same period a year earlier and from 41 in the previous quarter, the London-based International Maritime Bureau said through its piracy reporting center in Kuala Lumpur.

"Despite a sustained decrease in acts of piracy over the past three years, the statistics for the second quarter of this year suggest that we may be seeing a reversal of this trend," IMB director Pottengal Mukundan warned in a statement.

"Somalia and Nigeria remain very dangerous, high-risk areas with large numbers of violent kidnappings and hostage takings."

Indonesia remained the world's worst reported piracy hotspot, with 24 attacks in the first half of 2007, but this was an improvement from 33 in the same period a year earlier, the IMB said.

It said attacks have risen steeply in Nigeria with 19 incidents in January-June, up from only 7 a year earlier, it said.

Pirates were usually heavily armed and have begun attacking oil tankers during crucial cargo operations, which raised the risk of loss of lives and environmental destruction, the report said.

Somalia has re-emerged as a trouble area with 17 attacks in the first half of this year, eight vessels hijacked and 85 crew members taken hostage, the IMB said. This marked a dramatic increase over 10 attacks recorded for all of 2006, it said.

The IMB urged Somalia's government to let foreign naval ships assist hijacked vessels in Somali waters. "It is only when the pirates see that they can no longer make easy money by seizing vessels, that we will see a reduction in attacks."

While parts of Africa remain problematic, the IMB said the situation in Southeast Asia's previously worrisome Strait of Malacca has significantly improved.

Only two incidents were reported in the narrow waterway so far this year, with no attacks at all in the second quarter, thanks to increased cooperation between states straddling the strait, it said.
    Last edited by SlowwHand; July 12, 2007, 22:26.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Has there been a corresponding reduction in global warming?

Comment

It has to do with global warming:

Comment

That's right. We spoke of this before. Deja vu all over again.
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

But which is cause, and whcih is effect?

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And isn't that the real point? Thank you, Jon.

Comment

Ninjas, attack!

Comment

As I said before, yer modern pirates are the wrong sort. They need parrots, rum, and Aaaargh, Jim-lad catch-phrases.

Comment

Sea piracy fell with Britain's ascendancy over the seas of the world. Eventually, the British navy was replaced by the US navy. However, with the US overstretched, piracy has become very profitable again.
                  Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Sea piracy fell with Britain's ascendancy over the seas of the world. Eventually, the British navy was replaced by the US navy. However, with the US overstretched, piracy has become very profitable again.
                    The overall naval presence in all those places is far larger than it has ever been before. Not just in US ships, but all coalition ships.

Piracy has more to do with the instability of coastal nations and thus the lack of policing of territorial waters.

These reports are misleading anyways. If a Somali in a open speed boat knocks off a 10ft fishing dhow it is counted the same as Sir Drake buring a Spanish gold galleaon to the water line.

The age of exaggeration is upon us
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                      As I said before, yer modern pirates are the wrong sort. They need parrots, rum, and Aaaargh, Jim-lad catch-phrases.
                      That has to be the worst written pirate accent I have ever seen
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I suppose that explains why software piracy hasn't helped. Still a noble effort, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                          That has to be the worst written pirate accent I have ever seen
                          It wasn't, on the whole , meant to be a pirate accent.

Shiver moy timbers, the ship's gawn!!!

Comment

It wasn't, on the whole , meant to be a pirate accent.
                            Yeah, whatever
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

One of my first records as a child was Treasure Island. I played it so much I knew it off by heart.

"If this lad 'ere doesn't lead us to the ship, oil cut 'is 'art out!"

Black Spot

Comment

Working...
                              X