"Dear Prudence" aka - stupid letters seeking advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dear Prudence" aka - stupid letters seeking advice

I was reading slate when I came over these babies.

I like the way they were mad fun of.

Are there really so many idiots out there?

Dear Prudie,
    My husband's brother and his family graciously hosted us for a few days when we flew across country for a visit. Although they live in a large home with a cupboard full of plates and employ a full-time housekeeper, they used disposable plates the entire time we stayed with them. It was pretty clear that they typically use disposable plates all the time. When we sat down for a Mother's Day dinner, they even served the dinner on heavy-duty disposable plates and bragged about how they felt "almost" like real plates. I am not the world's biggest environmentalist, but I do care about protecting our Earth's limited resources for the sake of the next generation. Since we're sure to stay with them again in the future, is there any polite way to ask them whether they've considered the larger consequences of their choice to use disposables?

—Hate To Throw It All Away

Dear Hate,
    Yes, it's discouraging to see needless waste; what's also discouraging is for houseguests to critique your hospitality. Here's about the only thing you can do: When mealtime comes around, suggest that if they want to save some of their paper plates, you'd be happy to volunteer for dishwashing duty. If they decline, paper it is. I note that to get to your in-laws' for a visit, you flew across the country, thus spewing carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, and that you plan to do it again. Lecture them on how they're destroying things for the next generation and they may suggest you do your part and stay home.

—Prudie
    Dear Prudie,
    My daughter is 5 years old and has, like most girls her age, a hamper's worth of stuffed animals. While she has her favorites, she constantly wants more and usually connives to get someone (read: her grandparents) into procuring a new one every couple of weeks. The new one immediately becomes her favorite and she must sleep with it every night and haul it around half the day. My question is: Does this behavior indicate she'll be overly promiscuous as an adult, or at least unable to commit to a single partner?

—Perhaps Overly Worried Father

Dear Perhaps,
    Of course that's what it indicates. You'd better start thinking now about what you're going to do when she's a young woman and throws over that big, chubby guy with the annoying laugh, Barney, for the sexually ambiguous Tinky-Winky, whom she then dumps for that moron, Elmo, who every time they come over asks you to get down on the floor and tickle him.

—Prudie

Idiocy reigns supreme.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I like Dogbert better.
      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

The second one has to be a joke. Has to be.
        Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
        "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

No, that's liberal neurosis for ya.
          (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
          (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
          (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Actually I saw the second one on a different site. It's actually true. Poor kid. Their dad is crazy.

Comment

Oh, I guess it's just fine she gets spoiled, as long she doesn't become overly promiscuous because of the stuffed animals.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Stuffed animals? As in taxidermy?

As for the first one - if someone is using paper plates to eat all their food off, well, that seems more like a sign of OCD than anything...
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                  Actually I saw the second one on a different site. It's actually true. Poor kid. Their dad is crazy.
                  Well, if it's been posted on two internet sites it must be true.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

As to the first letter - I bring my own cups with me where ever I go. I can't stand to use styrofoam.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
                      Nonsense. She is just a little slut.
                      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
                        I like Dogbert better.
                        I Dilbert
                        I Dogbert
                        I Cartbert
                        I Ratbert
                        I Lord Sava
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment