What is healthy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is healthy?

What is a healthy amount of time to play games? Basically, I know that at times I can play games so much that I don't do the other things I want/need to do. A very bad example is not getting the work done I need to, but it could also just not doing the activities which will make me enjoy life more (like going to the beach, or going hiking, or going to a party) and playing video games instead.

I know I spend too much time on the internet (and apolyton is part of that), but this isn't about that. So how many hours a week do you feel is appropriate for time spent playing video games?

I think that video games are pretty good entertainment. Definitely better then TV, which is what many people spend hours and hours watching per week.

Jon Miller
    Only when eating a banana.
    0.00%
    0 hours a week, video games are evil!
    3.85%
    2 hours a week, there are better things you should be doing.
    0.00%
    5 hours per week.
    7.69%
    7 hours per week.
    0.00%
    10 hours per week.
    3.85%
    12 hours per week.
    0.00%
    15 hours per week.
    7.69%
    20 hours per week.
    15.38%
    25 hours per week.
    3.85%
    30 hours per week.
    3.85%
    35 hours per week.
    0.00%
    40 hours per week. Spend as much time as your job!
    7.69%
    50 hours per week. It is fine to be addicted to games.
    0.00%
    60 hours per week. Fine to spend most of your time doing this.
    3.85%
    80 hours per week. You don't need to do anything else.
    0.00%
    100 hours per week. It is fine to be a fanatic.
    0.00%
    120 hours per week. No need to sleep.
    15.38%
    Spend the time when your SO/etc is watching TV/involved in things you don't want to be involved in.
    0.00%
    Only game at work.
    7.69%
    Such that you have time to work, sleep and do other necessities.
    11.54%
    Spend as much time as you want, as long as you don't neglect your SO (screw work).
    0.00%
    Play until you die. (and an internet cafe...)
    3.85%
    Whenever you are bored (why care how many hours?)
    3.85%
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

0. I'm addicted

Comment

I have been addicted. I mean, I have been upwards of 50 hours a week.

But I also am often bored of games and play a lot less. I just want to ahve some games (to relax, to enjoy, to socialize in), but want to make sure I have time for other things. So after how many hours of games should I go "Hey, I have played enough games for this week, why don't I go to the museum". Or something else that I like doing but never do.

JM
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Right now I am thinking 20 hours a week, but actually, that is a lot of time. Although I know it isn't all that much compared to the amount of time I have often played games.

JM
        (if you think about it, 10 hours on weekends + 4 hours per evening comes out to be 30 hours... easy, and I have easily played 20 hours on weekends and 6 hours on evenings (50 hours) and still did other things.)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

One thing is that before MMOs, I think that I spent a lot less time playing games. I think long gaming weeks were 30 hours...

JM
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Pekka-esque serial posting, there Jon.

Comment

I was doing it before him

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

A conservative figure would be about 10. An hour on working days and 2-3 hours on weekends. Then no one could blame you for addiction
                Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

an hour isn't enough time to do much of anything but in CS:S

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I said it's a conservative figure If you play 10 hours a week, then probably even people who dislike games and gaming wouldn't claim that you're a gamer addict.

Which is what's so crazy about Civ, a session shorter than 2 hours isn't really doing anything.

Comment

well, I am fine with the number 10, but would wanwt to do it on 2-3 days a week, not on 6-7 days a week.

JM
                      Jon Miller-
                      I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

It depends on what you want. If you want to have enough time for other stuff, you should be defining the number yourself, not using an arbitrary number.

Comment

Upper limit is the number I want. I know I can go lower. Like what is a red flag?

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I'd say a red flag is 15 hours on 3 consecutive days. If you hit that, chances are you're not getting something done that you should.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                              Upper limit is the number I want. I know I can go lower. Like what is a red flag?

JM
                              Game's are OK in general. But MMO's are evil, Jon.

When is gaming too much? When it disrupts your life. For example,

- if you frequently arrive late at your job because of it and get fired

- or if your grades plunge because of it

- or if you don't take care of yourself or the people around because of it

- or if you use it as an escape mechanism instead of getting a life...

Edited for clarity
                              Last edited by Nostromo; July 12, 2007, 17:23.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                              X