Help Mao Connect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Mao Connect!

Hey all, I'm having a problem with my wireless connection, and any help would be great.

So,here's my problem - I have a Westell Versalink 327w modem that has a wireless connection with it. I've read some stuff online about a problem with this model, but I think my problem is a bit more simple. I have the connection up and running. It works fine with a ethernet cord, but I can't connect wirelessly. I tried to do so with my laptop via a Netgear WG511T wireless card. I've enabled WEP passphrase security on the Versalink modem, and when I try to connect and put in the password my Netgear card tells me that it's connected and gives it a yellow connection of ~48Mbps. When I open any browser (Mozilla, Firefox, and IE), it tells me that it can't find the server. So how to get my browser to connect wirelessly?

This is probably a really stupid problem and I'm just missing something, but if you could humor me, I'd appreciate it.

I've already tried restarting the modem and such to no avail as well as taking the WEP security off. Bah!
    Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Try pinging the router (in the command prompt type ping 192.168.1.1).

Comment

I forsee a long march in your future.... to the computer store...
      Only feebs vote.

Comment

Don't know anything about your modem but first check the modem and the Netgear card are both set to the same strength WEP encryption.

Don't waste your time using a passphrase - they aren't particularly reliable. Find the full WEP key on the modem and enter that onto the Netgear.

If both will cope with WPA then use that, not WEP. If they won't handle WPA - buy a router and wireless card that will.

(WEP has a sneaky habit of saying it is connected when it isn't but WPA doesn't lie)
        Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

This get fixed?
          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Definitely try pinging the router. If it pings, then you might have something not set up properly in your network connections. (You might anyway, to be honest).

You might also have a firewall issue. Some firewalls will try to protect you against improperly using a wireless network, mayhap?
            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
              Definitely try pinging the router. If it pings, then you might have something not set up properly in your network connections. (You might anyway, to be honest).
              So...how do I go about doing that?

You might also have a firewall issue. Some firewalls will try to protect you against improperly using a wireless network, mayhap?
              I've been turning the firewall on and off to no avail...

Cereberus, I've tried just turning off WEP and am still having no luck.
              Who wants DVDs? Good prices! I swear!

Comment

First: Try to work out the problem without enabling WEP. ( it should be a lot easier)

Secondo: ping the router

Start -> RUN: Type CMD

In the command windows, type : ping 192.168.1.1

after type:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

And post your results here
                bleh

Comment

Working...
                X