• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Allegory, not analogy.
    yeah...that's what I meant.

Fixed
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO

What was the movie's name for this battle?

I remember seeing it again not to long ago and my memory of the movie is startlingly like this description. Could it be that the movie was actually historically accurate?
      In terms of the action, it was pretty accurate.

An old school-friend of mine was the great-great-grandson (direct male descent) of one of the Rorke's Drift VC recipients- Private Hitch.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Surprised no-one has mentioned Attila the Hun and Ildico.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
          Surprised no-one has mentioned Attila the Hun and Ildico.
          No one listens to mid 90s' Hungarian goth-disco crossover ?

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

The french/British Rearguard at Dunkirk saved the day for the BEF, as did the 2000 men sent to Calais to delay the inevetible
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
              The french/British Rearguard at Dunkirk saved the day for the BEF
              Except for my grandpa, who had his ass hauled off to Stalag Luft III.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

Except for my grandpa, who had his ass hauled off to Stalag Luft III.
                Should I ask what his relationship was to the equine quadruped ?

(shame)
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Should I ask what his relationship was to the equine quadruped ?

(shame)
                  None. He knew those guys to talk to IIRC, and Bader, who was in the camp for a while.

He wasn't an officer. Apparently, they were regarded as a pain in the arse by the enlisted men for trying to get people to escape all the time.

My grandad did manage to get a job in the cookhouse though, so he was better off than most of the prisoners.
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                  X