Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What defines "Great"?

So, well all know some of the Greats out there:

Alexander the Great, Peter the Great, Ramses the Great.

The question is, what criteria should we use to evaluate greatness? is morality relevant to this question, or is it a measure of impact, of achievement, for good or ill?

And should be backdate our judgement? can we deny Alxander the title "Great" is we decide we don't like his actions?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

or is it a measure of impact, of achievement, for good or ill?

There you go... that's my criteria. I don't care if what the did isn't exactly considered "moral" by today's standards. Great means the man or woman did incredible things.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Bonyak the Scabby (of the Cumans).

Now, having a sobriquet like that in the Middle Ages is a great achievement.

Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

meh damn server

So again:

I do relate morality to it, but relative to a wider historical context. Maybe because the German equivalent "großartig" has mainly a positive connotation (though not in an outspoken moral way).
        Blah

Comment

It all depends on who's on what end of the sword.
          Best,
          Andrew

My blog

Comment

What really defines "great" is a good hagiographer. Alfred's status was secured by the surviving biography by Asser. It's worth mentioning that one of Alfred's grandsons was Edmund "The Magnificent". However no biography of King Edmund survived, and his honorific title fell from use.

The same was true of Athelstan, who I am convinced had an even stronger claim on the title of "The Great" than Alfred did.
            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

In the Islamic world, 'Suleiman the Magnificent' is known more as 'Suleiman the Lawgiver'.

I think that Elizabeth I should have been a great, if only for staying power and managing to outwit her (un) civil servants- mostly.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I'd have preferred "Gloriana" as her honorific. It's got more of a ring to it.
                The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp
                  I'd have preferred "Gloriana" as her honorific. It's got more of a ring to it.
                  Beats the Faerie Queen- especially as James VI & I seemed to have roughly assumed that one.

Comment

Working...
                  X