No announcement yet.

Teh New Wonders of teh World Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suez is a big hole which communicates 2 oceans, the panama canal is a huge machine
    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by LordShiva
      Here's the list:

* Great Wall of China, China
      * Petra, Jordan
      * Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
      * Machu Picchu, Peru
      * Chichen Itza, Mexico
      * The Colosseum, Italy
      * Taj Mahal, India
      That is one craptastic list. Damn.

* Petra, Jordan
      * Christ the Redeemer, Brazil
      * Machu Picchu, Peru
      * Chichen Itza, Mexico
      * The Colosseum, Italy

I definitely think the Statue of Liberty, Eiffle Tower and Hagia Sophia should be on there.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Who decides these? And why should I care what they have to say?
        B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Q Cubed
          Who decides these? And why should I care what they have to say?
          It was done by on-line voting in which any Joe Shmoe could sign up, which makes it pretty much crap. I remember when the Discovery Chanel did a similar kind of thing, Reagan got voted as the Greatest American.

Stuff like this should be left for historians. When It's Joe Shmoe making the picks you often end up with choices made for nationalistic or political reasons.

Comment

So, yeah, this is completely worthless as a list, huh?
            B♭3

Comment

these new wonders are very stereotypical and shallow. Well, if someone would ask you to name the most beautiful cathedral, half people would name Notre Dame in Paris, simply because they wouldn't make effort to think of anything else.
              But I do not expect anything else - 7 is too small number to make this choice meaningful.

Perhaps the worse choice is Christ (sorry, Jesus!), though Machu Picchu isn't much better. I guess the important thing is to be located in a large nation with nothing else around to boast with...
              "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
              I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
              Middle East!

Comment

What I think should be the 7 wonders list:

Great Pyramid at Giza
                Great Mosque of Mecca
                Hagia Sophia
                Chichen Itza
                Forbidden City
                Eiffel Tower
                Statue of Liberty

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

Great Mosque of Mecca
                  Hard to match political and historic significance, but... I don't recall there being all that impressive about the building.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Hard to match political and historic significance, but... I don't recall there being all that impressive about the building.
                    It's the symbolic nature of the structure. Same deal with the Statue of Liberty. another good example (even though it's not in my top 7) is the Empire State Building. It hasn't been the world tallest building for decades, but it has a kind of "aura" about it that, say the Sears Tower and Petronas Towers don't.

Comment

The statue of liberty though is a huge ****ing statue though in the middle of the harbor. The ka'ba is just a black box that people pray outside of. Kinda cool, but not a wonder.

Stuff like the statue of liberty, pyramids & the colossus count as wonders in my book.

Comment

Architectural wonders of the world
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I have to say - I have never heard of Petra in Jordan. I think it's sort of sad that something that's not even a wonder in Civ is a wonder of the world... and though it is probably saying more of my lack of knowledge than about the 'wonder', I've heard of (and know meaningful things about) the rest...
                          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Great Pyramid at Giza
                            Great Mosque of Mecca
                            Hagia Sophia
                            Chichen Itza
                            Forbidden City
                            Eiffel Tower
                            Statue of Liberty

Statue of liberty and great mosque of mecca aint really super awesome buildings,

I think the pyramid of the sun is the most impressive massive thing built in america by natives

Having the forbidden city is like having Versailles in the list, and I think the panama canal should be there

The 7 wonders after all were great feats of engineering and technique of mankind.
                            I need a foot massage

Comment

I think the pyramid of the sun is the most impressive massive thing built in america by natives

I actually was about to bring up Teotihuacan. I think it should replace Machu Picchu, but Chichen Itza is pretty impressive as well and I find no reason not to have it on the list.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

It was done by on-line voting in which any Joe Shmoe could sign up, which makes it pretty much crap. I remember when the Discovery Chanel did a similar kind of thing, Reagan got voted as the Greatest American.

Stuff like this should be left for historians. When It's Joe Shmoe making the picks you often end up with choices made for nationalistic or political reasons.
                                Elitism FTW.
                                DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Working...
                                X