Have you ever bought a game on Steam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever bought a game on Steam?

I'm asking because I was browsing their selection and they have some decent titles such as "Deus Ex: GOTY edition" and "Psychonauts". Stuff you rarely find in stores. Tempting...
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Is 'Steam' another codeword for drugs, nostromo?
    "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Nah, its Valve's (the makers of Half-Life 2) online store
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Nah, its Valve's (the makers of Half-Life 2) online store
        Well if that's the case, then no, I haven't.
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

I've considered it, but I hate Steam b/c it's essentially adware, and I really don't want to support that in any way. So even if it cost me more I would buy Psychonauts etc. through another means just b/c **** Steam.
          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Yes, so far just HL2.

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Don't you have to always be connected to the internet for Steam games to even work?

Try looking around the net. Psychonauts (game sounds pretty dumb but I dunno) is http://www.gogamer.com/Psychonauts-F...VVviewprod.htm here for $10...

Comment

Yeah, Steam is pretty much always on. I hate crap that does that.

Comment

Psychonauts got great reviews all around, but I can't stand platformers... Despite that, I keep telling myself that I should at least try it out, just to know what all the fuss was about

I also noticed that Games on Steam are not really cheaper... Its the kind of thing that's useful when you need a game like right now.
                  Last edited by Nostromo; July 5, 2007, 00:41.

Comment

Psychonauts is pretty cool from a thematic stance. I've never played anything like it in that respect. As platformer it is pretty good. Like not great, but not bad. A solid 4 out of 5 as far as game play goes. I'd recommend checking it out if only because it is a somewhat alternative game and hasn't received much mainstream attention.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I hate Steam. I go out and buy games using the Half-Life engine at the store, but when I install them I have to go through a huge hassle to activate them through the Steam website. Then I have to go through the activation of Steam in order to play, even when playing single player. The latter I consider to be way beyond what ought to be their relation to me as a buyer.
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

I considered one of those online services (Steam? Can't remember) for buying Civ IV. What turned me off was that it had issues with patches. Normal patches didn't work, you needed special patches for the CDless version of the game which meant you had to wait for each upgrade longer than people who bought the CD.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                          I hate Steam. I go out and buy games using the Half-Life engine at the store, but when I install them I have to go through a huge hassle to activate them through the Steam website. Then I have to go through the activation of Steam in order to play, even when playing single player. The latter I consider to be way beyond what ought to be their relation to me as a buyer.
                          That process for single player makes the idea invalid for me. Haven't used the service and won't!
                          No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                          "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Re: Have you ever bought a game on Steam?

Originally posted by nostromo
                            I'm asking because I was browsing their selection and they have some decent titles such as "Deus Ex: GOTY edition" and "Psychonauts". Stuff you rarely find in stores. Tempting...
                            Its is my son's favorite 'place' for acquiring games.
                            Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                            Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                            "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                            From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Direct2Drive is an alternative to Steam that doesn't have the 'online activation' thing except for first use (nothing that sits in your memory or communicates with a server or anything). Similar in quantity of games to Steam (if not more).

Patches do have to be different, but the difference is trivial (they have to have the correct EXE to have the right sort of copy protection) so the time is at most a few days later (and often at the same time if it's a scheduled patch).
                              <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                              I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Working...
                              X