Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Were 20th century battleships pointless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, battleships made good target practice for dive bombers and torpedo bombers.
    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

DD = A/D/M 12/8/5

BB = A/D/M 18/12/5

Case closed
      "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
        It is now thought that Hood was sunk by the Price Eugen and that a shell went down the funnel. It wasn't a Jutland type destruction.

IIRC Hood had its upper deck armanent improved to BB standards
        The Prinz Eugen theory has been discredited IIRC.

William Jurens has an incredibly detailed account of the Hood's destruction. The shells would have had to have an extremely high angle of penetration, but the Prinz Eugen was not at the right distance to effect such an angle, and without that, it's shells could not have penetrated Hood's armour. The funnell hypothesis seems to suffer from the same problem.

Link to Part 3 of Juren's excellent article
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
          I think Obsolete might be a bit to harsh. Certainly their effectiveness for their original mission was degraded drastically, but I feel that not enough credit is given to their effectiveness in their secondary missions. Airpower came a long way in WWII, but IMHO, it was the missle that was the end of the Battleship era and not the airplane.
          That is a fair comment, and is what I intended to say. In terms of their original mission, they were pretty hopeless.

Apologies for my vagueness.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

That is a fair comment, and is what I intended to say. In terms of their original mission, they were pretty hopeless.

Apologies for my vagueness.
            Hey, np!

I agree that they were pretty hopeless in pitched battles to control sealanes once the aircraft carrier and the accompanying aircraft made the scene. It is hard to fight when your range of armament is 25 miles and the enemies is 200.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Working...
            X