"My mother is my grandmother and my stepmom is my halfsister"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My mother is my grandmother and my stepmom is my halfsister"

Could probably generate some familarily confusion.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Girl could give birth to sibling
    By Michelle Roberts
    BBC News, Health reporter in Lyon

Melanie Boivin
    Melanie Boivin's daughter has a genetic condition
    A Canadian mother has frozen her eggs for use by her seven-year-old daughter, who is likely to become infertile.

Should the girl opt to use the eggs and gain regulatory approval, she would effectively have a baby that was her half-brother or sister.

Critics said the work, presented at a fertility conference in Lyon, was deeply concerning.

But the doctors from the McGill Reproductive Center, Montreal, called the donation an act of motherly love.

Would I look at the child as my grandchild or as my own?
    Melanie Boivin

Also, the girl and any future partner would have a choice as to whether to use the eggs or not, they said.

The girl, Flavie Boivin, cannot have children naturally because of a chromosomal condition called Turner's syndrome.

Desperate to help, mum Melanie, who is 35 and a lawyer, investigated whether she could donate her own eggs.

After much research, she came across Professor Seang Lin Tan's team at McGill who run an egg freezing programme for cancer patients and those who want to delay childbearing.

Melanie said she discussed the decision with her partner and Flavie's father, Martin Cote, also 35 and a financial analyst.

Emotional impact

"We were concerned about the ethical questions - would I look at the child as my grandchild or as my own? We were also concerned about the financial impact, the physical impact on me and the emotional impact on the family."

After a year they decided to go ahead.

Could it possibly get more bewildering than this?
    Josephine Quintavalle
    Comment on Reproductive Ethics

Send us your comments

"What made us sure was the fact that I was there to help my daughter. If I could do anything in my power to help her I had to do it and because of my age I had to do it now.

"I told myself if she had needed another organ like a kidney I would volunteer without any hesitation and it is the same kind of thought process for this."

Melanie said her daughter would be the real mother as she would be caring for the child.

"I do not want to oblige her to use the eggs; I want to give her the option."

Professor Tan said they had asked for the advice of an independent ethics committee.

"The ethic committee agreed to it because the mother giving to a daughter is out of love and it is up to the daughter and partner in future years to decide whether to use the eggs or not.

"And ethical considerations change with time. Who knows what the ethics will be in 20 years from now."

Identity problems

Professor Tan said this was the first case of mother-to-daughter egg donation. There have been cases of donation from sister to sister.

TURNER'S SYNDROME
    A genetic condition that causes impaired growth and learning difficulties
    Destroys eggs, leading to an unusually early menopause

Dr Richard Kennedy, of the British Fertility Society, said: "This altruistic behaviour is not dissimilar to the scenario where a parent donates a kidney to a child.

"In this case, instead of using eggs from an unknown donor, she will get the opportunity to know the source.

"Although this means the resulting offspring will be similar in genetics, an unrelated sperm will be used - and this means that the offspring will not be a true sister."

Josephine Quintavalle, of Comment on Reproductive Ethics, expressed sympathy with the family, but could not support storing the mother's eggs.

She said: "The psychological welfare of the baby itself has to be the principal concern.

"Such a baby would be a sibling of the birth mother at the same time as the direct genetic offspring of the grandmother donor.

"In psychiatry we are hearing more and more of children suffering from identity problems, and specifically a condition called 'genealogical bewilderment'. Could it possibly get more bewildering than this?

"We have to stop thinking of women only in terms of their reproductive potential.

"The daughter could live a full and happy life without having children of her own."
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

I was going to say that explains alot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
      I was going to say that explains alot.
      Well, I guess it's the modern version of normal redneck lifestyle
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

i read that before. i think it's a nice idea of the mom, but it's still kinda weird.

Comment

It's fine, but weird.

Comment

great thread title, BC
            Order of the Fly
            Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18202705/ <--april article.

Comment

Originally posted by b etor
                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18202705/ <--april article.
                It's good to see that our local fbi agent is alert and agile Though, doesn't that prove that msnbc isn't a very well visited site ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

i never use the site, i just remembered reading the article somewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                    It's fine, but weird.
                    I don't find it at all weird.

Do children derived from artificial conception from the eggs of strangers not look at the women who carried them and nurtured them as their mothers?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It's not that, just the source of the eggs.

Comment

You find a gift of love from a mother to a daughter to be weird?

You must come from a strange varient of protestant background.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          You find a gift of love from a mother to a daughter to be weird?
                          Depends on the gift, obviously. Are you being deliberately obtuse? With most people I'd assume so, but you have a record of earnestly believing in this sort of simplistic argument...

Comment

I suppose I understand why you think it's weird, kuci, but I don't. The genetics are irrelevant to me... it's nice that the mother thought of this in case her daughter chooses to go this route. I'd certainly rather have a child that was genetically similar to me rather than a complete random crapshoot... except if the Turner's Syndrome is also in the donated eggs of course, but one presumes they made sure it wasn't.

(Turner's Syndrome is single-X syndrome, and typically occurs when one gamete of the two that form the embryo lacks the X chromosome, although it can happen after fertilization. As females only express one X chromosome normally anyway (per cell), it's not necessarily fatal, or even as bad as most other nondisjunction syndromes such as Down's syndrome, although it certainly is no fun and has some pretty nasty symptoms.

From what I could tell from the web, my guess is most of the negatives that occur from single-x is that you are effectively double recessive for half of everything your mother was het for, which is quite a few things most of the time. Thus you're typically shorter, and have all sorts of odd things including apparently some things from our evolutionary past.)

At least you get out of having a period for the large part
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

I thought this might be a thread about the Spanish Habsburgs or the Ptolemies.

Don Carlos, son of Philip II of Spain had only 4 great grandparents instead of 8.

Only 6 great great grandparents instead of a normal 16.

Saves on birthday and Christmas gifts though....

Another Carlos, winner of last prize in the Habsburg Beauty Contest:
                              Attached Files
                              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                              X