X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Gates may have lost the "wealthiest man" title

Gates 'knocked off' richest man perch

July 3, 2007 - 2:10PM
    Nothing lean about Carlos Slim's earnings ... $US67.8 billion.

Mexican tycoon Carlos Slim is the world's richest man, worth an estimated $US67.8 billion, after overtaking Microsoft founder Bill Gates, according to a respected tracker of Mexican financial wealth.

A 27 per cent surge in the share price of America Movil, Latin America's largest cell phone operator controlled by Slim, from March to June made him close to $8.6 billion wealthier than Gates, said Eduardo Garcia in Sentido Comun, the online financial publication he founded.

Garcia estimated that Gates was worth $59.2 billion.

Forbes magazine reported in April that Slim had overtaken billionaire investor Warren Buffett for the No. 2 spot in the world's richest stakes but was still behind Gates.

Mexico has a huge rich-poor divide, with a tiny elite holding most of the country's wealth and around half the population living on less than $5 a day.
    Forbes bumped up Slim because gains from his holding company Carso and fixed-line telecom Telmex added to the Mexican's fortune while shares of Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc fell in the same period.

Three months ago, Sentido Comun's Garcia begged to differ with Forbes and calculated Slim's wealth as more than Gates' -- but only by a whisker. Now he says there is no doubt whose fortune is bigger at current share values.

"When I put Slim ahead three months ago Forbes bumped him up to second place (in world rankings) a few days later," Garcia, also the publication's editor-in-chief, said. "Let's see if the same happens again."

Spokespeople at Forbes magazine were not immediately available for comment.

Garcia, who uses Forbes' calculations for U.S. billionaires' wealth, says the 5.7 per cent increase in Microsoft share prices in the second quarter is no match for the sharp rise in valuations of Slim's companies.

Shares of Telmex in the second quarter rose 11 percent and Slim's bank, Inbursa, saw its stock advance 20 percent.

Garcia's Sentido Comun, which translates as "common sense," reckons Slim and his family own a fortune equivalent to 8 per cent of Mexico's gross domestic product.

For Gates to be worth 8 percent of the U.S. economy, his fortune would have to grow to more than $13 trillion, 17 times his current wealth, according to Sentido Comun.

Slim, known for his Midas touch in turning around struggling businesses and turning them into profit-making machines, told Reuters in an interview this year he was not in the habit of calculating his fortune on a regular basis.

Slim and his chief spokesman Arturo Elias Ayub were not immediately available for comment.

Reuters

A Forbes article from a few months ago

Carlos Slim Helu Now World's Second-Richest Man

For seven years Warren Buffett, the so-called Oracle of Omaha, ranked just behind his good friend and bridge partner Bill Gates as the world's second-richest man. That era is over, at least temporarily. On March 29, Mexican telecom titan Carlos Slim Helú quietly slipped past the value investor. As of market close today, Slim is worth $53.1 billion, compared with Buffett's $52.4 billion. He is also breathtakingly close to passing Gates, currently worth $56.0 billion. Gates, who co-founded Microsoft in 1975, has been the world’s richest man for a record 13 years.

Slim added $4 billion to his fortune in the two months since we locked in net worths for our annual billionaires rankings. His second-largest holding, Carso Global Telecom (other-otc: CGTVY - news - people ), which controls ubiquitous fixed-line operator Telmex, has jumped 15% in that time. His biggest holding, wireless operator America Movil (nyse: AMX - news - people ), is up 4% since it announced earlier this month that it was in talks to buy a third of Olimpia, the holding company that controls Telecom Italia (nyse: TI - news - people ). By contrast, Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (nyse: BRKA - news - people ) shares have slipped slightly.

Slim's latest gains continue an amazing run for the 67-year-old tycoon. He has added $23 billion to his fortune over the last 14 months. The surge has been fueled largely by a strong Mexican economy and a stock market that jumped 49% in 2006.

The Mexican magnate's rising fortune has caused a good deal of controversy because it has been amassed in a nation where per capita income is less than $6,800 a year and half the population lives in poverty. Critics claim he is a monopolist, pointing to Telmex’s control of 90% of the Mexican landline telephone market. Slim's wealth is the equivalent of roughly 7% of Mexico's annual economic output. If Gates had a similar proportion in the U.S., he'd be worth $874 billion.

Slim says he is unfazed by the criticism. "When you live for others' opinions, you are dead. I don't want to live thinking about how I'll be remembered,” he said earlier this year. He also claims indifference about his ranking and says he has no interest in becoming the world's richest person. When asked to explain his sudden increase in wealth at a press conference soon after our annual billionaire rankings were published, he reportedly said, "The stock market goes up ... and down," and noted that his fortune could quickly drop.

These days, Slim insists his biggest concern is using his wealth to help solve Mexico's social ills. A year ago he infused one of his foundations, which had been long neglected, with $1.8 billion. In the fall he pledged to donate up to $10 billion to health and education programs over the next four years. Still, he poked fun at his American counterparts' much-ballyhooed philanthropic efforts at a recent press conference. "Poverty isn’t solved with donations," he reportedly said, adding that building businesses often does more for society than "going around like Santa Claus."

I need a foot massage

That's what happens

when you start giving away boat loads of money.

I mean to say that Gates would have been much higher up, except that he has already given away many many billions of dollars. Slim has not even come close (the greedy bastard).
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

[cowboy accent] Well...ole Slim done got higher up than Billy the Kid. Aw shucks. [/cowboy accent]
      "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

But will he be able to last? I remember a few years ago when Michael Dell was biting Gates' heels, but then he fell out of the running.
        Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
        Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

If Gates can get Slim into the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation then we would be getting somewhere.
          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

This is what happens when under guise of privatisation you grant someone a monopoly in a lucrative fast growing market.

Comment

Dey took ur richest man title!
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

May I bring forth a theory that a profit driven investment by B.Gates of money he spent on charity would have benefitted more people in more aggregate dollars than charity?
                Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

No, given that the work the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation has done has been outstanding.

Comment

The IKEA guy is supposed to be richest, but he won't admit it.
                    THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                    AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                    AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                    DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      No, given that the work the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation has done has been outstanding.
                      Suppose the money would benvested in a new venture providing first jobs ,;then some products for people to enjoy. Would that be not more outsstanding? I'm not argouing, I'm trying to form my own opinion on this as well. Plus i'm tipsy. My highschool classmate turned 30, we got drunk ona golfcoursee.
                      Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                      Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

AIUI, almost all of the funding goes towards education or medical research, so not really.

Comment

Education aned medresearchc is produdtcs.

Comment

I think you're rather more than tipsy, and the B&MGF does an incredible amount of work in bettering the US and the world.

Mexico is the worst example - single worst - of a country under capitalism. The rich-poor divide is incredible, and they don't have the excuse of some countries in Africa and such that are underdeveloped and tried to industrialize too fast. Mexico has the ability to be a first world (or at least second world) nation, they just don't give a $#@#.
                            <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                            I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

What happened to Ingvar Kamprad?
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X