Krak des Chevaliers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krak des Chevaliers

Click the link above, and you're looking at is an absolute monster of a castle. Krak des Chevaliers represents the greatest western-style castle in history. It was the headquarters of the Kinghts Hospitaller during the Crusades.

The original fortress at the location had been built in 1031 for the emir of Aleppo.

During the First Crusade in 1099, it was captured by Raymond IV of Toulouse, but then abandoned when the Crusaders continued their march towards Jerusalem. It was reoccupied again by Tancred, Prince of Galilee, in 1110. In 1144, it was given by Raymond II, count of Tripoli, to the Hospitallers, contemporaries of the Knights Templar.

The Hospitallers rebuilt it and expanded it into the largest Crusader fortress in the Holy Land, adding an outer wall three meters thick with seven guard towers eight to ten meters thick, to create a concentric castle. The Grand Master of the Hospitallers lived in one of the towers, and the fortress may have held about 50-60 Hospitallers plus up to 2,000 other foot soldiers. In the 12th century, the fortress had a moat covered by a drawbridge, leading to postern gates.

Between the inner and outer gates was a courtyard, leading to the inner buildings, which were rebuilt by the Hospitallers in a Gothic style. These buildings included a meeting hall, a chapel, a 120-meter-long storage facility, and two vaulted, stone stables which could have held up to a thousand horses. Other storage facilities were dug into the cliff below the fortress, and it is estimated that the Hospitallers could have withstood a siege for five years.

It saw plenty of action, surviving two unsucessful sieges before being captured by subterfuge in 1271 (a forged letter instructing the garrison to surrender originating from the Mameluke Sultan Baibars)

The defensive plan is featured by two separate lines of defence, an outer curtained wall with several cylindrical towers, and what is known as the inner ring. They are separated by a ditch except which runs around the inner ring except in the south where there is a reservoir. The inner fortress was used as the crusader castle. The entrance has a wide ramp and a vaulted passage that leads you to the outer ring and on to a platform that links to the inner castle. Large taluses were added to the southwest and east sides to strengthen the outer wall and to make it earthquake resistant. There is a small chapel to the east of the entrance that was transformed into a mosque by Baibars, and of that mosque remains a mihrab and three minbars. Opposite the chapel are three powerful towers that strengthen the south wall. The weakest of the towers was occupied by the Master (the Grand Master of the Order). There is a spiral staircase that takes you up into his room that is round and has a cross-ribbed vault, which is supported by columns. It is linked to the bastion by a two-story lodging that is of Gothic architecture, which was being used in France at the time. There are three beautiful windows that look out from both floors. The third and most impressive of the towers is linked to the keep by a massif instead of a wall, on which many war machines would be put (Catapults, etc.). From this tower, the five-sided erection that Baibars later altered could be controlled.

The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Another view.

Comment

Awesome.

Did anyone else here doodle maps of (obviously unrealistic but still cool) castles during class when they were in grade school?

Comment

If only there were some sort of Medieval Sim City, where you could build walls and fortresses and such all around your town

Comment

Medieval Total War II is pimp

Comment

Cool Castle

I visited Kerak Castle in Jordan ("Crac des Moabites", frequently confused with Krak des Chevaliers due to the similar name), seat of evil Renaud de Châtillon, which is certainly impressive, but not as giant as this one in Syria.
            Blah

Comment

It's not as big as I thought it would be...
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Don't be fooled by foreshortening. It's a biggie.

Comment

I'm trying to judge by the people walking in front of it. Hardly an accurate way to measure, but it does look smaller than Osaka-jo or Himei-jo. The stone walls in the center are probably higher, though.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

crac
                    Attached Files
                    "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                    "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

swimming pool
                      Attached Files
                      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
                      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Is this the one in Kingdom of Heaven?
                        THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                        AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                        AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                        DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

That would be the one I mentioned, because it was the castle of the de Châtillon guy, the red-haired evildoer in the movie who attacks caravans and is punished by the leprous King of Jerusalem later....

I actually think they used a CGI castle in the movie, because near the original Kerak castle there's the town of Kerak today which you of course can't see in the movie. Also the landscape looks a bit different in the movie, in reality there's less desert in close vicinity, more mountains and hills.
                          Blah

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                            I actually think they used a CGI castle in the movie
                            They used a real castle.
                            USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
                            The video may avatar is from

Comment

For the scenes inside the walls (when the KoJ arrives to punish Renaud) maybe, but it could also be set design.
                              The panorama views with landscape and castle look rather CGed, or probably they used a combination of real footage for the background and CGI elements. The castle looks too good (afaik no crusader castle in the ME is in that perfect condition today) to be completely real, and as said, the terrain doesn't match.

As for the siege of Jerusalem they show at the end those can't be all real city walls and towers either.
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X