Has it really been 10 years?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has it really been 10 years?

It seems like only the other day that the UK handed Hong Kong back to China. I remember I really wanted to go visit Hong Kong while it was still a colony and before the Communists mucked things up as they did when they took over Shanghai in 1949 but I'm afraid I never made it. Still, it is interesting to look at what three different generations of Hong Kongers think about the changes.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

it's never too late for them to invade and take it back

Comment

wow, I never realized the accents on some of them over there. kinda trippy in a way

Comment

10 years of independence.
        Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
          10 years of independence.
          I must have missed the bit where "Special Administrative Region" means the same as "independent".
          Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
          -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
            I must have missed the bit where "Special Administrative Region" means the same as "independent".
            In Communist China, Special Regions administrate you.
            "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I thought this was about Duke Nukem Forever. (10 Years and counting)
              Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                Independent as in not ruled by a foreign government thousands of miles away.

Before 1997, the head of the Hong Kong government was a foreigner appointed by London with no say from the people in Hong Kong. All the laws were created by the colonial power which had the final say and which allowed minimal input from Hong Kong residents.

At least now, the chief executive is someone from Hong Kong and elected by 800 Hong Kong residents. Yes, a democratic government would be much better, but a local committee making the decision is still better than a foreign government.

Hong Kongers are largely masters of their own home with far more power than they had during the colonial era.
                Golfing since 67

Comment

Ah. Independent as in ruled by a different set of masters in a capital far far away.
                  Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
                  -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Hong Kong is ruled by people in Hong Kong, not by people far, far away.

In the past 10 years, the powers in Beijing have only got involved when they asked to by the Hong Kong government. Beijing has repeated said that they want Hong Kong to solve its own problems (This is largely because the Beijing boys are to their necks with problems on the mainland. They don't need more problems on their hands)

That's very different from the colonial day when every decision was made by a foreigners, appointed by a distant government.
                    Golfing since 67

Comment

In the past 10 years, the powers in Beijing have only got involved when they asked to by the Hong Kong government. Beijing has repeated said that they want Hong Kong to solve its own problems (This is largely because the Beijing boys are to their necks with problems on the mainland. They don't need more problems on their hands)

That's very different from the colonial day when every decision was made by a foreigners, appointed by a distant government.
                      You really shouldn't be quoting the the PRC Ministry of Truth without any acknowledgment.
                      "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

I think Hong Kong and Macau are the only places in china where you can go to real catholic churches. so props for them.
                        I need a foot massage

Comment

Show me some indication that Beijing is actively involved in the day-to-day affairs of Hong Kong.

Show me one situation where Beijing stepped in on its own and forced Hong Kong to do something it didn't want to do.

You won't be able to.

And even if you could, it would just show that a Chinese city is ruled by Chinese people, which is far better than before 97 when a Chinese city was ruled by London.
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

When I read the title I thought the thread was about Apolyton.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Ruled 800 hand picked shoe licking lackeys of the communist party you mean. Have you forgotten that the UK had passed several laws making Hong Kong democratic but that the communists had repealed those laws saying they preferred only to have their running dog lackeys allowed to vote.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X