Recommend good history books/sources here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend good history books/sources here

This thread is for recommending your favourite history sources. Tell us what they are and what makes them great.
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Well a good history book I just read was David McCulloah's (spelling?) "1776". A very good and succint account of the first year of American independance, from right after Bunker Hill (which was in 1775) all the way to January 1777, with the Battle of Trenton and Battle of Princeton (and the importance of it to the cause).

It really goes into the personalities involved (General George Washington, Brigadier General Nathanael Greene, Colonel Henry Knox, Major General Charles Lee, etc.) and the problems Washington had to deal with, especially the issue of undisciplined troops who only had very short terms of duty. And also details how on a number of occasions Washington escaped by the skin of his teeth or in the dead of night (which was impressive in itself as the Brits a few times were astonished that an entire army could vanish in the way that it did). The book also goes into the possibility of Washington losing command and Lee being given it until Lee's capture in late 1776.

Just a great read of that first year of the American Revolution.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I will have all the Cambridge Histories someday. They're so good that they come damn close to justifying their monstrous pricetags.
      Last edited by Drake Tungsten; June 28, 2007, 14:13.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If you can bring yourself to try Oxford, I'll recommend Frank Stenton's "Anglo-Saxon England". It's one of the greats.
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Thanks for the recommendation. I need some more books on English history.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'll throw out the inspiration for my username:

The Anabasis Alexandri by Arrian of Nicomedia (Lucius Flavius Arrianus). Sure, he had a case of hero worship for Alexander, but he still does a pretty good job of telling the story, and considering various sources.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

too many list... good one is Makers Of Modern Strategy really puts things in an analytical perspective.

Another long but good read is The Prize by Yergin. everything and more you wanted to know about the oil industry.

Other than that for current events I subscribe to stratfor.com
              Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Working...
              X