Why is Bob Dylan good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

-> Music Forum

Being named Bob is the only redeeming quality I can spot. It's hard to get really pissed off at a guy named Bob, no matter how awful he sounds.

Comment

I'll take Bob Marley over Bob Dylan. I would say it's an era thing, but I do like some other music from way back then. It's just a musical style I don't care for.

Comment

Re: Why is Bob Dylan good?

Originally posted by Dis
        I don't get it. What am I missing?

A simple twist of fate.
        On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

Re: Re: Why is Bob Dylan good?

Originally posted by LordShiva

The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
          Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
          Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Highway 61 Revisited and Blood on the Tracks are works of genius. The imagery he paints with his lyrics is sublime. They are albums I can just lie down and lose myself in.

I love all of his 70's albums, especially Desire (which features surely one of his greatest songs - Hurricane) and Street Legal.

I even love his 80's Christian rock albums, but after Under the Red Sky things start to go downhill for me. His latest albums are critically acclaimed, but they do nothing for me at all.
            Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

The Freewheeling Bob Dylan, and his first album 9though mostly covers) are pretty awesome too.
              Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
              Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Jimmy Hendrix made Bob Dylan's existence worthwhile IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  If he has a "role model", it's Woody Guthrie.
                  How can one criticize that influence in music?
                  Commie lover.
                  "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.†- Jimmy Carter

Comment

First of all, the lyrics. I'd consider him the best lyricist ever. His lyrics rarely form a clear narrative, but he can evoke images really effectively and his rhymes always seem to come easily.

You said you'd never compromise
                    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
                    He's not selling any alibis
                    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
                    And ask him, "do you want to make a deal?"

Obviously, his songs are just really good in general. That explains why Johnny Cash, Joan Baez, Judy Collins, Jimi Hendrix, the Birds, Guns N Roses, Peter Paul and Mary, etc have chosen to cover them. A lot of well-loved musicians in several different genres became popular by covering Dylan.

And then there's the whole cultural icon and blah blah blah thing, which I don't really care about, but it does mean he's pretty significant.

If you don't like his voice, fine, but he is the greatest songwriter ever.
                    "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

He wasn't even the best songwriter of the '60s. Paul McCartney was...
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm willing to admit that it's pretty close.
                        "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

He wasn't even the best songwriter of the '60s. Paul McCartney was...
                          McCartney is certainly one of the best songwriters of '60s. But the best? He has strong competition from John Lennon. Anyway, most of my favorite Beatles songs are from Lennon.
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

McCartney > Lennon. - FACT!

Comment

Jaguar just regained my love.
                              KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Lennon was better than McCartney, and without each other, they were both far worse off.

but Lennon wrote far better songs than McCartney post 1970
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X