Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Bob Dylan good?

I don't get it. What am I missing?

He wrote great songs. duh. There's not a single song of his that you like? Or you like the songs, but don't like the way he sings them or the way he plays them?
    Last edited by Nostromo; June 26, 2007, 23:53.
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Dylan
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

He's a great poet. I don't know why that makes him a good musician, but many people think it does.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
          He's a great poet. I don't know why that makes him a good musician, but many people think it does.
          Well, he wrote a couple of great songs in his days. He may not be a great singer or a great guitarist, but he's a great songwriter.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

tip: this is a cue for you guys to post some of his greatest lyrics in this thread. . maybe you can convince me he's good

Comment

Dylan was on the cutting edge of folk rock in the early to mid 60's. He wrote songs, like any folk writer, that reflected the times in stark reality.
              It's been said he's not a singer. No, he's a story teller.
              Listen to the stories he tells. If he has a "role model", it's Woody Guthrie.
              How can one criticize that influence in music?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Re: Why is Bob Dylan good?

Originally posted by Dis
                The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind.
                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Taken from All Music:

Bob Dylan's influence on popular music is incalculable. As a songwriter, he pioneered several different schools of pop songwriting, from confessional singer/songwriter to winding, hallucinatory, stream-of-conscious narratives. As a vocalist, he broke down the notions that in order to perform, a singer had to have a conventionally good voice, thereby redefining the role of vocalist in popular music. As a musician, he sparked several genres of pop music, including electrified folk-rock and country-rock. And that just touches on the tip of his achievements. Dylan's force was evident during his height of popularity in the '60s -- the Beatles' shift toward introspective songwriting in the mid-'60s never would have happened without him -- but his influence echoed throughout several subsequent generations. Many of his songs became popular standards, and his best albums were undisputed classics of the rock & roll canon. Dylan's influence throughout folk music was equally powerful, and he marks a pivotal turning point in its 20th century evolution, signifying when the genre moved away from traditional songs and toward personal songwriting. Even when his sales declined in the '80s and '90s, Dylan's presence was calculable.

Comment

he pioneered several different schools of pop songwriting, from confessional singer/songwriter to winding, hallucinatory, stream-of-conscious narratives. As a vocalist, he broke down the notions that in order to perform, a singer had to have a conventionally good voice, thereby redefining the role of vocalist in popular music. As a musician, he sparked several genres of pop music, including electrified folk-rock and country-rock.

Can any of this really be called a good thing?
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

All Music and Artist Direct are sister sites. The only difference is navigational. Both good.

Comment

He'd be better with an SH-101 bassline
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

This makes me like Dylan better...

In Rolling Stone last month, Bob Dylan said, "I'm in awe of McCartney. He's about the only one I'm in awe of."

Smart man.
                            KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Re: Why is Bob Dylan good?

Originally posted by Dis
                              Not alot - great songwriter at times - but apart from that - does not do much for me.

But I could be wrong...........

Has been known to happen............

I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

Working...
                              X