Suggest a good horror movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bipolarbear

I'm having trouble telling whether this is a brilliant fakepost, or a hilariously serious opinion.
    Given that this thread is about horror films, the answer should be obvious.
    Unbelievable!

Comment

Nobody saw Lars von Trier's TV show "Kingdom Hospital"? It was creepy and funny. There was Stephen King remake, IRC.

The Kingdom (Danish title: Riget) is an eight-episode Danish television mini-series, created by Lars von Trier in 1994. It has been edited together into a five-hour movie for distribution in the United Kingdom and United States. It is currently available on DVD in the United States from Koch-Lorber Films and on Madman Entertainment's Directors Suite label in Australia/NZ.

The series is set in the neurosurgical ward of Copenhagen's Rigshospitalet, the city and country's main hospital, nicknamed "Riget". "Riget" means "the realm" or "the kingdom" and leads one to think of "dødsriget", the realm of the dead. The show follows a number of characters, both staff and patients, as they encounter bizarre phenomena, both human and supernatural. The show is notable for its wry humor, its muted sepia colour scheme, a sort of "Dogme"-lite shooting style with added jump cuts, and the appearance of a chorus of dishwashers who discuss in intimate detail the strange occurrences in the hospital (without ever being involved in the story themselves).

Several episodes end with the Swedish neurosurgeon, Stig Helmer, on the hospital roof, looking longingly out over Öresund towards the Swedish shore line, and yelling "Danskjävlar!" ("Goddamned Danes!"), after helplessly witnessing another (to him) example of Danish lunacy. Director Lars von Trier appears over the end credits of every show offering enigmatic observations about the plot. The comic elements and perceived "weirdness" in the series have led to comparisons with Twin Peaks.

The first quartet of episodes ended with numerous questions unanswered, and in 1997, the cast reassembled to produce another group of four episodes, Riget II (The Kingdom II). This series continued exactly from where the first finished, and kept the trademark sepia colouring and shaky camera-work of the first series. Von Trier continued to appear over the end credits.

This second series ended with even more questions unanswered than the first, and a third series was planned. However, due to the death in 1998 of Ernst-Hugo Järegård (who played the Swedish neurosurgeon) and the subsequent deaths of Kirsten Rolffes (Mrs Drusse) and the actor who played the male dishwasher, the likelihood of a third series is now very remote. Von Trier actually wrote the third and final season, but the production was not picked up by DR. At that point, five regular cast members had died and it seemed impossible to continue the series. The abandoned scripts were sent to the producers of Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital, but it is unclear whether they used the scripts or not.

Despite being a mini-series, it appears as one of the 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die.
      Goddamned Danes!
      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
        Nobody saw Lars von Trier's TV show "Kingdom Hospital"?
        The first series was the best.

The opening sequence in the marshes is creepy, and I love the song over the credits.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I saw 'the tenant'.

Unfortunately apart from the very beginning, with the scene in the hospital, the rest seemed quite boring.
          And Polanski cannot act at all.
          Perhaps it was meant to be seen only if one had read the novel though; it was very unclear what was going on, and why.

Comment

Night of the Living Dead (1968)
            I took a girl to this at the drive in. Needless to say, the date did not go well, and no further dates.
            No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
            "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I just finished watching Sleepaway camp.

The acting was very poor. Unfortunately i had read a wiki quote according to which the ending was famously disturbing, and that tipped me of as to the posibility that Angela was what she was.
              Still, the final scene was good
              With a better directing and acting work, along with some more build up of the plot, this could have had worked a lot better.

Btw no one mentioned Angerheart either. It had made an impression on me when i first watched it, when i was 15
              Last edited by Varwnos; July 6, 2007, 06:22.

Comment

I see most people are recommending movies from a few years back. You really need to watch the classics.

Someone already mentioned Dario Argento. Definitely watch Argento, his two gems are "Suspiria" and "Profondo Rosso", both of which are phenomenal. 30 years later, I still haven't seen a movie which even remotely compares to the visual beauty of Suspiria.

Someone else also mentioned "The Wicker Man". I'm still at odds if it's a true horror movie in the sense of the word but it's one of my favorite movies of all time, and has one of the most stunning endings ever. It's also a beautiful movie, set in a remote Scottish village which is more out of a fantasy RPG than modern times.

That person also mentioned "Hellraiser". It's my favorite horror movie of all time. People have since labeled the series as a mindless slasher in the same vein as Freddy and Jason but the original is an incredibly smart movie and quite gory even for today's standards. Most people forget that Pinhead was only in it for like 15 minutes and that the real villains were others. The first sequel is very good too. All the rest are... bleh (coincidentally the first two were British, beginning with the third the franchise was picked up by Hollywood and it went downhill).

If you like gore, go watch "Dead Alive" (a.k.a. "Braindead"). It's a Peter Jackson film and probably has more blood in it than every single Jason flick combined. Best of all, it's a horror-comedy and it's absolutely hilarious.

"Re-Animator", also mentioned previously, is fantastic. So is the first sequel, "Bride of Re-Animator". They are horror-comedies as well based on the works of H.P. Lovecraft which is a fantastic writer who also has a number of movies made of his material. Some of them are quite good like "From Beyond", "The Resurrected",

If you're into zombies, watch the four George Romero "Dead" movies (Night of the Living, Dawn of the, Day of the, Land of the). They are all quite good and have not so subtle social commentaries (something that was completely lacking in the Dawn remake).

Two of my favorite horror directors are John Carpenter and David Cronenbeg. A little known Carpenter jem is "In the Mouth of Madness", a homage to Lovecraft and a brilliant film, one of his best IMO. As for Cronenberg, I recommend "Shivers", one of his first movies and perhaps his best and most disturbing. Almost as good are "Videodrome" and "The Brood". Cronenberg is also the guy who made "The Fly" in case you haven't seen it, do so.

There are so many other lesser-known flicks that I cannot list them all. Here are a few and if anyone is interested, I'll be glad to mention more.

"The Changeling" - Haunted house type movie, stars George C. Scott

"The Haunting" - Watch the original black and white version

"Texas Chainsaw Massacre" - I'm not a big fan of slashers but the original TCM is a fantastic film, best slasher eva!

"Lifeforce" - British 80s sci-fi zombie flick. Scared the **** out of me as a kid.

"Audition" - Japanese horror, someone already mentioned it. Awesomly disturbing and original.

"2000 Maniacs" - Nice splatter flim set in the deep south. There's a modern remake starring Robert Englund and called "2001 Maniacs".

"Night of the Creeps"/"Slither" - The original is a classic 80s B-film, the latter is a movie from last year I believe which was heavily based on it.

Some good modern horror flicks are "Severance" (very very dark comedy) and "Living Death", the latter one is quite original.

"La Maschera del Demonio" - Italian flick by Mario Bava. Really great gothic horror.
                A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Pumpkinhead

The Omen

Comment

That person also mentioned "Hellraiser". It's my favorite horror movie of all time. People have since labeled the series as a mindless slasher in the same vein as Freddy and Jason but the original is an incredibly smart movie and quite gory even for today's standards. Most people forget that Pinhead was only in it for like 15 minutes and that the real villains were others. The first sequel is very good too. All the rest are... bleh (coincidentally the first two were British, beginning with the third the franchise was picked up by Hollywood and it went downhill).
                    I saw it recently. Cool concept, but it didn't age gracefully. The latex monster looks like it was made of... you guessed it, latex. I hear that a remake is in the works, with Clive Barker himself at the helm.
                    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Night of the Hunter
                      the Robert Mitchum one
                      nothing supernatural, just one bad bad man and gallons of suspense.
                      Gaius Mucius Scaevola Sinistra
                      Japher: "crap, did I just post in this thread?"
                      "Bloody hell, Lefty.....number one in my list of persons I have no intention of annoying, ever." Bugs ****ing Bunny
                      From a 6th grader who readily adpated to internet culture: "Pay attention now, because your opinions suck"

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty
                        Sean of the dead

again, its horror/comedy
                        Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Working...
                        X