No announcement yet.

Suggest a good horror movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alien is the best horror movie ever made.

Aliens is the best action movie ever made.
    oh geez, its suspense, no its action

if its scary its horror

Comment

No one mentioned Candyman, or child's toy

When i was 9 i remember being interested in child's toy. Although im sure the following movies of the series were pathetic..

Comment

Originally posted by varwnos
        Ok, i saw wolf creek.

Lets just say that if it had never been filmed, no one would miss it...
        I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life - anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Comment

The shinning
          the ring
          any halloween except 3
          the exocrist except 2
          and the excorist of emily rose i heard was awesome
          when a starnger calls
          When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
          "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
          Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

The Thing (1982)
            Creepshow
            Pearl Harbor
            Unbelievable!

Comment

Witchfinder General

The Haunted Palace

Masque of the Red Death

The Tomb of Ligeia

The Fall Of The House Of Usher

Salo

Kuroneko

Kwaidan

The Wicker Man (original 70s' version)

The Vanishing (original Franco-Dutch version)

Les Yeux Sans Visage

Repulsion

Daughters of Darkness

The Crazies

Razorback

Hellraiser
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by Darius871
                Pearl Harbor
                I'm having trouble telling whether this is a brilliant fakepost, or a hilariously serious opinion.
                Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

The Vanishing (original Franco-Dutch version)
                  Great movie
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear

To be persnickety, Saw was more of a psychological thriller, and Jaws was, imo, suspense, with some really cool action sequences. I'm not sure how horror is defined in terms of cinema but I feel like there should be some elements of the macabre for it to qualify for the strict definition of horror.

I'm pretty sure people watching someone saw off his leg to escape from a trap understood something about horror. There's plenty of the macabre in both Saw and Jaws, or perhaps you mean the supernatural?
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I'll watch 2005's The Descent next.

I hope it wont be utterly worthless

Comment

It isn't. Some of the actresses are a bit annoying, but it's a really claustrophobic little chiller, with brutally uncompromising horror elements. At times, it's almost like "Cannibal Holocaust".

Other picks-

"Les Diaboliques"- It's old and French. It's also really chilling.

"Repulsion"- Don't expect shocks and thrills. This is a really disturbing film that eats its way under your skin like screw-worms.

"Don't look now"- A very classy film with an air of creeping unease. The ending is downright horrifying.

"The Wicker Man"- It was made with the intention of confounding every horror rule. You'll love it or hate it.

"Alien"- A very conventional horror film, but brilliantly realised. The ensemble cast was absolutely perfect- probably the best-acted horror film ever.
                        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Originally posted by Bkeela

I Spit on Your Grave

Terrible film. The acting is genuinely awful, the plot contrivances are hilarious, it looks really cheap and it's just not scary due to the total failure to generate tension.

It's an exploitation film, not horror.
                          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I think that was the spelunking one I refered to. It was worth a watch.
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

It isn't. Some of the actresses are a bit annoying, but it's a really claustrophobic little chiller, with brutally uncompromising horror elements. At times, it's almost like "Cannibal Holocaust".
                              Good

edit: ok, now i have seen the Descent.
                              It appears to be little more than a straight-forward blood-bath, with no particular thematology to speak of.
                              It did remind me a bit of one short story by H.P.Lovecraft, entitled "the thing in the cave".
                              While i read in wikipedia that a different interpretation (that it was all a hallucination) is being supported by its director, i find that to be probably a trick rather than a real possibility.
                              From what there is to be seen, this film has a very simple progression, entirely linear, and sometimes with arbitrary elements (i did not see why there had to be a female monster as well, for example).
                              Last edited by Varwnos; June 30, 2007, 11:48.

Comment

'The Shuttered Room' has a great Lovecraftian smalltown feel:

But it's British through and through - the main clue to this being the sight of several well-known English character actors struggling to deliver their lines in broad New England accents. As with every attempt to do this, they have a roughly 50 per cent success rate and constantly have to re-adjust before their RADA-trained slip shows too much.
                                But dodgy accents aside, The Shuttered Room is a fine film - making good use of its meagre budget to deliver a few chills and some memorable scenes (although the non-supernatural ending is a bit of a let-down).

'Razorback' & 'Plague of the Zombies' both have lovely surreal dream sequences.

The film is more intrigued by the alien nature of the landscape - it looks like planet Mars in many shots, as the dream-delirium sequence demonstrates - and how paradoxically alluring and repellent it can be. What this means is a host of carefully filmed views mixed with the rough talking locals for colour.

'Plague':

Perhaps the film's most startling image is the eerie, green tinted dream sequence in which zombies dig their way out of the ground and advance with outstretched hands. This scene has often been recycled in horror films; it is repeated in slow motion almost shot for shot in Hammer's Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (d. Roy Ward Baker, 1973), and finally reaches an unsubtle, gory extreme in Lucio Fulci's Zombie Flesh Eaters (Italy, 1979).

'And Soon The Darkness' should put you off holidaying in France.

One of the great things about the DVD revolution is the opportunity it occasionally gives us to discover films from the past that we'd probably never have been aware of otherwise. Every now and then, you can stumble across a real gem -- and that was the case when I saw this wonderful little low-budget British thriller from the early seventies which was produced by the team responsible for writing and directing "The Avengers" TV series. Anchor Bay have dusted it off and given it their usual quality presentation, and I suspect "And Soon The Darkness" will now quietly start to gather quite a strong cult following among Euro-Horror fans, especially since it's co-writer and producer, Brian Clemens, wrote (and in one case directed) two of Hammer studios' more interesting projects from the seventies ("Dr Jekyll and Sister Hyde" and "Captain Kronos - Vampire Hunter") while director, Robert Fuest, directed the Dr Phibes films. Also, the film inadvertently has a slight giallo feel to it thanks to it's 'foreigner abroad' theme and twist ending.

'Night Of The Demon':

Night of the Demon, on the other hand, is filmed in black & white, and owes more to M.R. James's suggestion than explicit gore.

Scenes such as the storm invoked by black magician Karswell (Niall McGinnis), dressed in clown's makeup, are genuinely unsettling. This scene of a children's garden party suddenly interrupted by demonic intervention anticipates The Omen (US/GB, d. Richard Donner, 1976). As in that film, Night of the Demon's lead character, Dr John Holden, is an American, coming to terms with what he initially sees as 'old European' mumbo-jumbo. As Holden, Dana Andrews is initially somewhat wooden, but his performance improves as the character becomes more convinced of the reality of what he is up against.

Unlike the hammy histrionics of those films, Niall McGinnis's satanist is a sinister yet affable figure, ultimately aware that he is out of his depth in his occult dabblings. His fear is believable, even if the depiction of his fire-breathing nemesis is not. Although slightly marred by some creaky effects, this remains an engaging, frightening and influential film.

Director Jacques Tourneur turns in one of his best pieces of work. From the beginning, when Harrington is pursued by a strange cloud, to the very end when Karswell, knowing the runes have been passed back, tries to escape along railway tracks before being savaged by the demon, the atmosphere is always on the edge of fear. Every scene is loaded with tension, the latent fear of the unknown bubbling below the everyday surface. This is achieved by the performances, and also by the lighting, Ted Scaife's photography complementing Tourneur perfectly. The secret of the film's success lies in the way that Tourneur and the scriptwriters keep to the spirit of James' original understatement.
                                Attached Files
                                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Working...
                                X