The 8th Wonder of the Ancient World

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 8th Wonder of the Ancient World

You have one wonder to add to the original seven wonders of the ancient world. Which one are you going for?
    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

The first Temple of Solomen.
    USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
    The video may avatar is from

Comment

The Great Wall.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Stonehenge, for longevity and mystery.

Comment

The Great Wall.

The Great Wall was a POS in ancient times.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Cloaca Maxima.
            "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
            "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
              The Great Wall was a POS in ancient times.
              That's a bit of an exaggeration. Yes, the Qin Wall wasn't nearly as impressive as the Ming one, most of it was barely more than an earthen wall. But it was still by far the largest man-made structure in surface area and mass at the time, stretching for thousands of kilometers and requiring many tens of thousands of labourers to build and thousands of soldiers to guard. It's construction and existence had a profound impact on the entire region.
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

The Apollo Program

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                  Stonehenge, for longevity and mystery.
                  Meh. Purists go for Avebury. It's a lot bigger and was actually built by the megalithic culture, whereas Stonehenge in its last incarnation appears to have been a Beaker-culture copycat.

Comment

Yes, the Qin Wall wasn't nearly as impressive as the Ming one, most of it was barely more than an earthen wall.

A wall of stamped earth is pretty lame, no matter how long it was. Hadrian's Wall was more impressive...
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'm going for the Marib Dam, and irrigation network.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma'rib_Dam

It irrigated 100 square kilometres of desert, and propped up the Saba'a culture (the pre-eminent Arabic culture before the rise of Islam).

Comment

Depends on what definition of "ancient" we're using.

I've always been fascinated by Petra, for instance, but is it truly ancient?
                        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Sodom or Gomorrah. Take your pick. The orginal Sin Cities
                          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

considering the fact that they most likely were two small villages in the desert where people really enjoyed buggering each other, I harldy think that they are candidates...
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

I've always been fascinated by Petra, for instance, but is it truly ancient?
                              Yes. Originally built by Nabateans in the 1st century BC, important traders in the region. Later occupied by Romans which added more buildings, but those nice buildings carved directly into the rocks are from the Nabatean period.

Heresson had some cool pics from Petra in his ME picture thread. I have been there too several yrs ago, it's really cool
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X