Incomprehensible ads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incomprehensible ads

Like, I suppose, most longtime netizens my brain usually just filters out ad banners and the like. However, when ads do reach my consciousness, it's often the case that I cannot figure out what they're advertising. There's a logo and some nifty gfx, but no hint as to what the actual product is. Frex, there's currently an ad here reading Caribic-something featuring a grinning skull, but there's no hint as to whether its advertising a movie, computer game, theme park, rum brand, or whatever.

Similarly, some weeks ago town was covered with posters of Cindy C-something; the only way you could tell it was advertising her wristwatch (which you could hardly see) rather than her dress or whatever was if your recognized the little company logo in a corner as that of a watchmaker.

Can someone tell me the logic behind this kind of marketing? One'd intuitively think that getting across what is being advertised would be a top priority for advertisers.
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

obviously they're not very good at advertising. sex appeal and humor are the most common methods. i guess they took it too far.

Comment

Maybe they hope you get curious and click on their ad?

Comment

Working...
      X