No announcement yet.

Nationalist Pop Singers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I guess someone could think Tony Halme could qualify as a poor man's Thompson...

Tony Christian Halme (born January 6, 1963) is a former member of the Finnish Parliament, representing the True Finns party. He is also known by the pseudonym Viikinki he used to appear in the Finnish version of the TV game show American Gladiators in the 1990s. He has also been a professional wrestler as Ludvig Borga and professional boxer who held the Finnish heavyweight championship.

[...]

His earlier career in show-fighting and boxing have given Halme a "tough guy" image, enhanced by well-publicized instances when he had defended himself in bar brawls. Halme does not hide his nativist views and tends to speak in a rash, direct manner, which tends to catch the public eye. He has also suggested that Finland should send drug dealers to Russian prisons as this would result in considerable cost savings, and a prison term in Russia would be a more effective deterrent. The populist party of True Finns took him as an independent candidate in the parliamentary elections of 2003. His share of about 17,000 votes was the 7th highest in Helsinki parliamentary district. Most of his voters are from the poorest suburbs where unemployment is high. Some political analysts believe the Halme phenomenon to be a form of protest, but some fear this marks the rise of a political racist right-wing movement.

During his parliamentary career, Halme has raised controversies. The day after the elections, Halme referred to president Halonen as a lesbian in a radio interview. Halme stated that if a lesbian can be president of Finland and he can be a member of Parliament, anything seems possible. A huge uproar ensued as much of the Finnish media treated the statement as a personal attack on Halonen; Halonen herself made no comment. Halme later apologized, stating that he was sorry that the statement had been interpreted as an insult and that he had been under the genuine impression that Halonen was a lesbian. [1] ...
    According to Finnish Wikipedia, his album Mestarit salilla sold platinum... It's mostly joke stuff as you can see...

Oh, and he also makes an appearance in John McTiernan's Die Hard with a Vengeance as Roman, one of the baddies that McClane kills in the elevator (I think).
    Last edited by Meticulous Man; June 24, 2007, 12:17.

Comment

I remember seeing an American duo called "Prussian Blue" on an episode of Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends. The thing that stood out about them was the fact that they were 12 or 13 year old girls. It's a strange feeling watching such young and innocent faces spouting white supremacist bile.

Comment

lol. Not an interesting song/music.

Well while this is not exactly right-wing/nationalist, the lyrics in some of their songs used to be pro-Greece/orthodoxy/tradition etc.

I think that they do not longer exist as a band. They were monks. The singer had an interesting voice though

btw how can i link directly to the video, as in the previous post?

Comment

btw how can i link directly to the video, as in the previous post?
          Copy/paste the "Embed" bit from Youtube. In this case, though, it seems that embedding the video has been forbidden...

Comment

Yeah

Comment

Anyway there is also this, by Rakintzis (do you remember the "S.A.G.A.P.O entry from eurovision? )

It is an instrumental about the folklore according to which the last byzantine emperor will rise again and restore Constantinople to Greece (probably with the help of aliens)

The tune is quite nice imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                Is she a nazi or is she 'measuring corn'?

I don't see any corn in that picture

As I said, all sorts of people attended, from ordinary folk with little kids and harmless grannies to extremists like that one in the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by varwnos
                  Well while this is not exactly right-wing/nationalist
                  I refuse to believe Greece doesn't have nationalist singers. Greeks are famous for their passionate nationalism. Perhaps there is no specialized nationalist singer but instead each singer has a couple of nationalist songs?

Comment

I was going to say that people from small countries and more nationalistic than those of bigger countries, but then I remembered russia, and most east asian countries.
                    I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Aivo½so
                      According to Finnish Wikipedia, his album Mestarit salilla sold platinum... It's mostly joke stuff as you can see...
                      Why is he beating himself? Aren't there any Somalis around?

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                        I was going to say that people from small countries and more nationalistic than those of bigger countries, but then I remembered russia, and most east asian countries.
                        Yep. That needs to be reformulated: people from countries where nationalism was long suppressed or forbidden are more nationalist than those who have had their nation-state for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion

I refuse to believe Greece doesn't have nationalist singers. Greeks are famous for their passionate nationalism. Perhaps there is no specialized nationalist singer but instead each singer has a couple of nationalist songs?
                          There is no audience for something strictly nationalistic.
                          However imo this is due to the fact that moden greek society is very multi-faceted, often with negative results. There exist many opposite trends, as in other european societies.

Currently there is no ultra right-wing party in parliament. The only party which is clearly pro orthodox-pro nationalism etc etc is shown at the polls to be getting anything from 2% to 4% of the vote (3% needed for a party to enter parliament).

Also i would not think that nationalism is that strong here. You may be getting that impression from teenagers who mostly use the internet, but teenagers are like that in most countries i suspect; just check how many americans at a young age display a pathetic ultra-nationalism of their own
                          Last edited by Varwnos; June 24, 2007, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus
                            Is she a nazi or is she 'measuring corn'?

She looks like a Neofolk fan... I don't know the extent of their naziness but AFAIK their style includes using clothing and paraphernalia from the Nazi era and often having ridiculous political views. I think all HC neofolkers I know are members in the local nationalist nut organization Suomen Sisu.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonâ„¢
                              nOOb weapon
                              The Thompson was the world's first mass produced submachinegun. It was a favorite of everyone from gangsters to the military. In the US the "Tommy Gun" was made famous in the late 1920's and early 1930's as preferred weapon of the Mafia. The police found themselves out gunned by the mafia so they decided to start using the Thomson too.

The .45 cal slug has a stopping power which other rifles just can't match. You shoot someone with a .45 and they're not going to be getting back up. Notice the drum magazine in this picture.

[/img]http://tsra.com/UserFiles/1928A1-tommy-gun.jpg[/img]
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Rammstein.

I still don't know how the video for Links managed to get past Germany's hypersensitive censors.

THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X