Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who needs spys when you have Blackberry...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who needs spys when you have Blackberry...?

France bans BlackBerrys over fears of US intelligence snooping
    By Claire Soares
    Published: 21 June 2007

Seven million people worldwide may be addicted to them but the French government has said "non" to Le BlackBerry, fearing US intelligence agents could be snooping on state secrets.

"The risks of interception are real. It is economic war," Alain Juillet, who is in charge of economic intelligence for the government, told Le Monde newspaper.

The concern is that information sent from a BlackBerry gets routed via servers in the United States and Britain, and that this poses "a problem with the protection of information".

Research In Motion, the company that makes the handheld devices, poured cold water on the French fears, saying there was no way that the US National Security Agency could see the content of messages that were transmitted .

But Paris is clearly not convinced. France's General Secretariat for National Defence first declared the ban on BlackBerrys 18 months ago but recently had to send out another reminder.

Civil servants say rebellious employees are still engaging in surreptitious BlackBerrying. And government officials are still moaning about the edict, because they object to being ordered to abandon technological advances.

"We feel like we're losing a ridiculous amount of time. We're having to learn how to do things in the old-school way," one minister's aide complained.
    Just like GPS is also controlled by the US - imagine how screwed all those poor people who can't read a map anymore are going to be if the US ever decides to stop it?
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Spot the intentional spelling mistake after my rant...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Nice try on the France v. US angle, by RIM's a Canuck outfit. I don't doubt that (and would hope that) the NSA can snoop on the traffic, but it's no more vulnerable than many other services offered commercially.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
      X