No announcement yet.

Global Warring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Siro, this is a thread about global warring, not global warming - please pay attention and whore your hippy tree-hugging credentials elsewhere...
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

its about both.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious

US vs plains indians
        That is an example of people being made hungry by being kicked off their land by a far more powerful and perfectly well fed enemy...

Originally posted by Patroklos

Any of the migrating barbarian vs. Rome wars.

The Helvetii vs. Julius for a specfic example.
        So we have to go back 2,000 years to find anything approaching a suitable example...

Surely there must be plenty of examples in the twentieth century?

Comment

Any of the migrating barbarian vs. Rome wars.

The Helvetii vs. Julius for a specfic example.

Erm,

Julius was migrating through the Heveltii...
          "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Actually yeah, I was thinking of the Goths, Huns and Vandals...

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetii

Nope, Julius moved in attacked the Helvetii from Gallia Narbonensis as they tried to migrate into Gaul. Caesar acted on the behest of allied Gauls. This became his excuse for meddling in Gaul further...
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

But. Did they do this because they were hungry?

Comment

Though this new generation of wars is likely to strike at the heart of people's ability just to feed themselves or have a place to live
                  Definetly a place to live. The article is unclear on what exactly the Germanic "pressure" was that prompted the move.

After burning their villages and food stores I guess you have both conditions, but they did to that to themselves.

EDIT: Though you did say "and" in your actual question. I don't think any of the barbarian tribes were actually starving, but overpopulation was the cause of territoral pressure and thus migrating. Hunger usually follows overpopulation.
                  "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetii

Nope, Julius moved in attacked the Helvetii from Gallia Narbonensis as they tried to migrate into Gaul. Caesar acted on the behest of allied Gauls. This became his excuse for meddling in Gaul further...
                    Well, what did I say ?

Julius attacked the Helvetii. This war was therefore not fought for the "right to exist" or however you want to call it, but for pure political reasons.

Comment

Julius attacked the Helvetii. This war was therefore not fought for the "right to exist" or however you want to call it, but for pure political reasons.
                      Mobius made no mention of how the war started, only why. The reason the war started was the Helvetii migrated. The intervention of the Romans was a direct consequense of that.

Comment

So in the entire history of humanity, all we can find is a bunch of tribespeople who made themselves hungry by destroying their own food!!!

And who's to say that the 'pressure' they received to move, wasn't because of another bunch just being more powerful and greedy, and not necessarily because they themselves were hungry...

Kinda makes Arrian's statement look rather wrong really, doesn't it?

Or, as I was saying, we are now on the cusp of entering into a new type of conflict with Darfur as a precursor and countries like Israel being clever by securing territories essential to it's being able to feed its population for the future decades ago...

For nations like the US of course, oil is just as precious as food and water, so they obviously took a leaf out of Israel's book by securing Iraq's oil reserves...

Comment

Mobius made no mention of how the war started, only why. The reason the war started was the Helvetii migrated. The intervention of the Romans was a direct consequense of that.
                          But they didn't migrate because they were hungry. Perhaps you can argue that they were at the end of a domino effect caused by some other hungry tribe - but then you would have to tell us who they were in order to prove your hypothesis...

Comment

oil is just as precious as food and water
                            You eat crude? That explains some things.

by securing Iraq's oil reserves...
                            Iraqi oil goes to India and Europe.

Comment

You eat crude? That explains some things.
                              Pray tell what most fertilisers are made from? Hydrocarbons? What energy is used to make them? How are they transported? How is the food transported?

Iraqi oil goes to India and Europe.
                              Even better! The US has Europe's oil supplies by the balls!

Comment

No, the reason was that Julius needed to have a quick victory to establish his positin in Rome.

The stick found to beat the dog with were the Helvetians.

Comment

Working...
                                X