Does Your Dog Know English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Your Dog Know English?

Interesting, I never tried to actively teach my dog anything, but due to telling her for over 10 years ¡Cruza! (the imperative in spanish for "to cross") whenever I want her to cross the street, now I only have to say that and she crosses the street at full speed
    (she walks free, I dont use a leash)

As acute as a dog’s hearing is, we ought to give them a little more credit for understanding our language. We know we can teach our dogs verbal commands, but many dogs learn to understand words we haven’t purposely taught them. We may find ourselves saying, “Let’s go for a walk” as we pick up the leash. The dog first associates the leash with the promise of going for a walk. He may also pick up on the word “walk” without his owner making a move toward the door or picking up the leash.

A delightful mutt named Midnight was very tuned into when his family was about to go on a trip to Arkansas to visit grandparents. This was the most exciting event in the world to Midnight because it meant a long car ride and upon arrival, a huge pasture to run in, and cows to boss around (he felt he must protect the family from those giant beasts.)

Midnight would know that a trip to Arkansas was eminent the day before when suitcases were being packed, and would get very anxious. When bags were taken to the car before dawn, he would go insane barking and jumping at the front door. His family attempted to pack in secret, but he was smarter than that. He started picking up on plans for a trip just through the family’s conversation about it. The words “trip” or “Arkansas” would set him off. The kids were told not say those words around the dog.

On one such trip, he actually got out the door while the family was loading up and went straight to the car, sat in his designated spot and didn’t make a sound. The humans felt really stupid. After that, each trip started with saying to Midnight, “Want to go to Arkansas?” and letting him out to the car. Midnight would sit, quiet and content, while the family packed the car in peace.

Astute owners who notice their dog’s linguistic talent have tried to develop it further by teaching words rather than commands. Some dogs are able to find their ball when the owner says, “Where’s your ball?” Some dogs appear to have an extensive vocabulary and can follow detailed directions like, “go to my desk and bring me my pen.” While this ability astounds dog owners, and anyone watching, scientists have tested dogs who show such prowess, and the findings are less or more impressive, depending upon how you look at it.

Dogs can learn many words, without a doubt, especially names of objects or commands. But to follow more complex directions, dogs rely on other skills. According to Stanley Coren in How to Speak Dog, a dog will listen to your words, and watch your subtle, even subconscious body language, and then add his most reasonable guess to figure out what you want him to do.

In the above command, for example, the dog may know what a pen is because his owner taught him that word-object association. The person giving the direction made a subconscious glance in the direction of the desk, which told the dog which way to go. Most dogs are masters at reading body language. The dog goes to the desk and sees the pen. The most reasonable and obvious thing for a good, well-trained dog to do with an object, is to retrieve it. This creates a very convincing illusion that the dog understood English well enough to follow a complex command.

In How to Speak Dog, to test the theory that dogs rely more on our body language than words, a dog was told to go to one place, but the person speaking glanced in a different direction. The dog always went to where the person was looking.

Dogs may never have a complete command of our spoken language, but their ability and interest in listening to our words and observing our body language in order to do what we ask of them, to ultimately please us, is really truly impressive.
    I need a foot massage

This creates a very convincing illusion that the dog understood English well enough to follow a complex command.
    So it's probably beyond most dogs understanding to ask them to bring you a martini, shaken, not stirred?
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Yeah dawgz are more visual than auditory.
      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Yes, my dog understands a variety of words. Whether or not he chooses to listen... that's another matter.

-Arrian
        grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

My cat understands when I ask her if she wants dinner. Sadly, the illusion of sentience is quashed when she tries to cover her food bowl with an imaginary pile of dirt.
          Voluntary Human Extinction Movement http://www.vhemt.org/

Comment

Yeah, they do get used to associations - all of the dogs I have ever had have got to know the word 'walk' even though they have never explicitly been taught it. It is nothing too surprising, simple Pavlovian association not surprising in a species with highly developed auditory senses.
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sometimes I think my dog is smart

Other times I'm dumbfounded by how incredibly stupid she is

Still, she smarter than any cat
              Monkey!!!

Comment

My parent's dog (I still think of her as mine) is very smart and very obedient. My parents live on a farm and so Daisy is allowed to run free but likes to keep my mother company when my mother goes walking and she's never been on a lease. Daisy is very adept at reading body signals. Since there are no sidewalks they walk on the side of the road. When a car is coming all my mother has to do is point to the line and Daisy will know to stay off the road until the car passes. Daisy also knows what you say by the tone of your voice. If you sound scared she will be very protective. If you speak angrily, she hangs her head like the most repentive of creatures.
                I think that most dogs are very smart, especially if their masters take good care of them. However, my parent's neighbors have a dumb little dog that will sit in the middle of the road and watch the cars coming toward it. The dog is so small that cars can't even see it and last night at dusk she was nearly hit twice. She is the dumbest dog I've ever seen.
                In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

It all depends on what you consider "smart" Japher. Cats are pretty damned smart. They're just not obedient. They get YOU to do stuff...

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Cats just look smart. They aren't really.
                    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Dogs
                      THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                      AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                      AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                      DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

A guy and his dog are in a bar.
                        "Hey!" snarls the bartender. "No dogs allowed!"
                        "But this dog can speak English," says the man.
                        "Really??" gasps the bartender.
                        "Sure, watch this: What's the texture of sandpaper?"
                        Rough.
                        "And what's up on top of this bar?"
                        Roof.
                        "Who's the greatest home run hitter in history?"
                        Ruth.
                        The bartender grabs them and tosses them out of the bar.
                        "You idiot!" the man shouts at his dog.
                        The dog nods. "Yeah, I should have said Aaron."

Comment

Working...
                        X