No announcement yet.

Post whacky or neat math stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And cryptographically, things like disk seek times and CPU temperatures are bad sources of entropy, as a malicious attackers can manipulate those. Depending on the design of the system, mouse/keyboard input can be bad too.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
      Eh, why the distinction? Any software running on a quantum computer can generate random numbers.
      In which case the source of randomness would still be the hardware.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
          And cryptographically, things like disk seek times and CPU temperatures are bad sources of entropy, as a malicious attackers can manipulate those. Depending on the design of the system, mouse/keyboard input can be bad too.
          Mouse and keyboard input may not be ideal, but for the time being the only entropy sources which are both widely available and sufficiently "random". Including true RNGs in crypto-chips might become a better solution in the future.

Comment

awww it looks like a cute alien!

Comment

This site claims to generate truly random numbers.
              "The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
              -- Kosh

Comment

Yes, by using external measurements.

Comment

Any one who considers arithmetical methods of producing random digits is, of course, in a state of sin. -- John von Neumann.
                  This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

"The generation of random numbers is too important to be left to chance." - Robert Coveyou

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      From the wiki article:

Woo.
                      Why does it remind me of Mandelbrot sets?

Comment

• Because it's nearly the same idea?

Comment

• Elaborate?

Comment

• The Mandelbrot set is a set of complex numbers that share a common property. The property is that under a certain iteration the number never goes off to infinity. Specifically, if you take a complex number c(0) and say c(1) = f(c(0)), and in general c(i) = f(c(i-1)), no c(i) ever leaves a radius 2 circle from the center. (This is for a specific function f.) The black areas of the Mandelbrot fractal are the numbers in the set, and the rest of it is colored according to how many iterations it takes to leave the circle.

The Collatz conjecture relates to another iterated function, which Lul Thyme posted. As he said, the (unproven) conjecture is that any number will eventually reach 1. There's an equivalent function and conjecture for the complex numbers, and the fractal from wiki is generated similarly to the Mandelbrot fractal.

Comment

Working...
                            X