Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist gets beaten by Greek anarchists

wtf??

The British electronic music duo Karl Hyde and Rick Smith aka Underworld have been forced to cancel their set at the Ejekt Festival in Athens, Greece last Saturday. Around 30 Greek masked anarchists apparently armed with CS gas, iron bars and baseball bats stormed the stadium while the Beastie Boys were performing. Rick Smith was also attacked and suffered injuries after which he was taken to a nearby Athens hospital. It's not unusual in Greece that anarchists cause an uproar. Underworld are currently finishing their fifth studio album, "Oblivion with Bells, expected to be released in October of 2007. A single from the new album should be released in summer 2007.
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

They seem to have totally lost their marbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
        That was great, Dane.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Re: Artist gets beaten by Greek anarchists

Originally posted by Zoid
          wtf??
          Any hint *why* they stormed into that festival? Doesn't seem like a usual target for such attacks (even if the quote says "not unusual" for them to cause trouble) to me......so WTF indeed.
          Blah

Comment

nm, not funny enough
            Last edited by lord of the mark; June 20, 2007, 13:20.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Comment

Re: Re: Artist gets beaten by Greek anarchists

Originally posted by BeBro

Any hint *why* they stormed into that festival? Doesn't seem like a usual target for such attacks (even if the quote says "not unusual" for them to cause trouble) to me......so WTF indeed.
                No explanations to why. The attack was apparently unprovoked...
                I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

I do not watch the news much, however i remember something about this particular story.
                  The target was not the artist; greek police lately has been plagued by an endless series of scandals either involving incompetence against anarchists/other criminals, or unprovoked use of excessive force.

And shouldnt the correct title format have been:
                  "artist agressor beaten by evil greek anarchists"? For a moment you made me think i was not in the apolyton forums...

Comment

"The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

If the people doing this where anarchists, there must of been a political motivation behind the act. The report doesn't give one, so either the report is not giving all information, or is incorrectly using the term anarchist, or - most likely - both.
                      Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

'Anarchist' is a term used very loosely by greek media so as to describe any group of people in a riot. Due to unfortunate, dated and hopefully abolished in the near-future laws which protect the university asylum (which is being exploited by groups of hulligans who retreat inside the campus) there are nearly ceremonial-like such incidents twice a year, at rellevant anniversaries (eg the fall of the cue).
                        However those idiots rioting have nothing to do with political entities. They are a legacy of corrupt governing, along with all other shortcommings of the society as a whole. They should be treated as common criminals and locked up in jail.

Comment

If the people doing this where anarchists, there must of been a political motivation behind the act.

No.

Comment

Kuci's grasp of elementary logic is admirable.
                            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                              If the people doing this where anarchists, there must of been a political motivation behind the act.

No.

Sorry, I forgot I was at apolyton. I will put my pedantry hat on.

If these people where anarchists, and their being anarchists is related to the action - as labeling them as such in a report of the action would seem to indicate - then there must of been a political motiviation behind the act. For example, when someone kills their wife for cheating on them, the papers do not read "Capitalist kills wife"
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X