South of the Border

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South of the Border

A friend asked me this morning if there is a single, decent country south of the border (i.e. in Latin America). By this, he meant, a free government and a free-enterprise economy.

My best guess was maybe Costa Rica, maybe Chile and maybe Argentina. Most of the rest are stuck wth feudalistic or para-feudalistic economies and oligarchial-type politics.

Give me some help here.

The UK.

Comment

I'd go with Costa Rica, but really am not qualified to have an opinion.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        The UK.
        The U.K. is East. I'm talkin' South.

(But hmmm, how 'bout Belize?)

Comment

Uruguay Chile Argentina Costa Rica, in that order

Uruguay has great beaches, nice weather, large middle class, half of the population is atheist, the average age is old like in europe since they have no sons, quite safe.

Then Chile, after Chile Argentina which is still recovering from their 2001 crisis, and after them Costa Rica.
          I need a foot massage

Comment

And you have to love a country with three "u's" in its name.

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
              The U.K. is East. I'm talkin' South.
              Falklands

Comment

The British Virgin Islands?
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Puerto Rico
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Puerto Rico? That doesn't count. Try to weasel them in there.
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                      Uruguay Chile Argentina Costa Rica, in that order

Uruguay has great beaches, nice weather, large middle class, half of the population is atheist, the average age is old like in europe since they have no sons, quite safe.

Then Chile, after Chile Argentina which is still recovering from their 2001 crisis, and after them Costa Rica.
                      List looks good to me, but why Argentina before Costa Rica? I've only heard great things about Costa Rica from friends who have served there. Whereas Argentina, for all its excellent food and culture, seems to destabilize every few years.
                      "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                      X