I'm sick of the dollar gaining value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm sick of the dollar gaining value

The Australian dollar continues to gain value against the US dollar and other currencies, now being up around 90% from its low point against the US dollar during the Asian economic crisis. This massive rise is leading to the closure of many manufacturing enterprises and increased current account deficits.
    So all you foreigners who have been buying our dollar at the current exorbitant prices, sellout before it reduces from its current unsustainable value and you lose your money and we lose all our factories.

Travel!
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Lend me the money in a nonrefundable loan so I can afford to travel, I could not afford to pay it back

Comment

I'll get back to you on that.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

So what you are saying is, now is a good time to buy lots of imports?
          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Yes, if shutting down our factories and putting Aussies out of work and increasing our debt to the world does not bother you

Comment

Man, this would be a great time to start selling crap to Australia.

How much will you give us for Paris Hilton?

Comment

You'll have to increase productivity or lower wages, trev. The Chinese threat is real.

Comment

The chinese are the main reason our dollar is high, they pay so much for our iron and coal, stupid hedge funds think our economy is booming and buy our dollars, in reality large sections of industry are shutting down or thinking of doing so.

Comment

Originally posted by trev
                    Yes, if shutting down our factories and putting Aussies out of work and increasing our debt to the world does not bother you
                    Hey! This is an American idea! Go get your own!!

"I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

I'd suggest that you get used to the weak dollar. Could still have a ways to go on the downside, given our relative current account deficits (Australia's is slightly lower than that of the US).
                      Last edited by DanS; June 18, 2007, 13:18.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                        I'd suggest that you get used to the weak dollar. Could still have a ways to go on the downside, given our relative current account deficits (Australia's is slightly lower than that of the US).
                        Clarify for me. When you say "current account deficits," are you referring to the trade imbalance, the national debt, consumer debt, or a combination of these?

Comment

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: I'm sick of the dollar gaining value

I'm not sick of it yet.

Its actually a similar situation in Canada - manufacturing got (and is still getting) hit pretty hard. But in spite of all the doom and gloom forecasts, the economy is still chugging along as well as ever. Even now as we approach parity with the USD.

And, as Lancer said: travel!

Comment

Working...
                            X