No announcement yet.

Is Lord of the Rings a children's book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I am glad it is now a short book. Before, people had to read the Silmarillion or the book of Lost Tales to get that story (and a lot of other good ones, so I still recommend reading the Silmarillion) but it is true that they are hard going.

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I read LOTR when I was 12 and loved all the books. I understood them really well, having never read anything like them before. However, I was a voracious reader, I don't think that everyone could have read them that young and understood everything that was going on.
      In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

way to stroke your ego... so you know, most of the geeks here are way smarter than you
        Monkey!!!

Comment

I read the Silmarillion when I was 3. True story.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            way to stroke your ego... so you know, most of the geeks here are way smarter than you
            How do you know? She hasn't posted here much. She might be the brightest person to ever grace Apolyton.
            I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
              I wasn't trying to brag, I'm sure I'm not the smartest one here, I'm not even a geek (although thank you Wycoff for your defense in my behalf). I was trying to answer the question about whether or not LOTR is appropriate for children and explaining why I can't make up my mind. Some kids read more than others and can take it, others can't. I used to teach 14 year olds and I know that not all of them would enjoy it.
              In the beginning the Universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

It has to do A. With the notion of really ancient beings surviving from the eldest days B. Some old celtic-anglosaxon lore JRRT was really into C. The notion of someone whom the ring couldnt rule, but he had no human desire for power, greed, etc.
                I didn't really care for the subtext, because it was the stylistics of that segment that completely turned me off.
                B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimandua
                  I used to teach 14 year olds and I know that not all of them would enjoy it.
                  Most of that is because 14-year-olds are generally gigantic dumbasses better off aborted in their 56+ trimester.
                  B♭3

Comment

It depends on their interests (obviously). I remember that i was fond of the tv production of the lion the witch and the wardrobe, but not so much of its battle elements. I liked the idea of the existence of two worlds, with a gate in between (the wardrobe) but a lot less so the theme of war between Aslan and the witch.

Comment

Of course its not . Im 22 years old and I've read it over 10 times. Also a lot of my friends loves it.
                      diseasesarchive.com

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                        There are things tucked away in there that teens cant get either, that you can only really understand as an adult.

You can say the same thing about the Shrek movies. Does that mean they aren't children's movies?
                        Many of those animated movies, like Monsters and Toy Story too, have adult-appreciated humour included. This is probably for commercial reasons.

Comment

You didn't answer his question.

Comment

LotM already did. They are children's movies, and the comparison doesn't hold.

Comment

Working...
                            X