No announcement yet.

Two Cuban soccer players defect in U.S.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Cuban soccer players defect in U.S.

Oh, goody.

HOUSTON (AP) - Two players on Cuba's national soccer team didn't show up for a Gold Cup match in Texas, while authorities tracked down 13 young Haitian players who disappeared from a New York airport.

Cuba players Osvaldo Alonso and Lester More skipped a first-round game on Wednesday when Cuba faced Honduras.

After Cuba was eliminated with a 5-0 loss to Honduras, Cuba coach Raul Gonzalez declined to say whether the two had defected.

"I'm a football man, not a politician. I will not answer that question," Gonzalez said.

Meanwhile, 13 young Haitians who left their Under-17 World Cup-bound team from John F. Kennedy International Airport had been accounted for on Thursday. Two had gone to Boston and the rest were in New York City, according to Felix Augustin, the consul general.

The players could not be reached for comment, so their exact motivation for fleeing was not known. But Augustin said they were whisked away in a scheme engineered by U.S. friends and relatives.

"These children were manipulated," Augustin said at a news conference in his Madison Avenue office. "It was organized. Absolutely."

He said no charges have been filed.

The youths, all under 17, disappeared during a stopover on their way to a tournament ahead of the Youth World Cup in South Korea. The players and coaches went to a McDonald's near the airport when 13 of them voluntarily got into a van that sped away, Augustin said.

The desertions would have been a major blow to a team that qualified for the U17 World Cup this year for the first time in the history of the Caribbean nation - the poorest in the Western Hemisphere.

Thousands of Haitians leave the country each year to escape miserable living conditions, violence and political instability.

In Texas, Alonso didn't return from a group shopping trip before Wednesday's game. More, one of Cuba's leading scorers, also missed a game against Panama in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Sunday and has not been with the team since.

Zac Emmons, Gold Cup spokesman, said the team was expected to fly back to Cuba on Thursday. Gonzalez and Alonso had checked out of their hotel on Thursday. Their whereabouts could not be confirmed.

In Havana, the Cuban Soccer Association told The Associated Press that all officials were traveling for the Gold Cup and unavailable for comment. The National Sports Institute also declined comment.

CONCACAF, the governing body of soccer in North and Central America and the Caribbean, issued a statement saying it would not comment on rumors of a Cuban defection.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

"These children were manipulated," Augustin said at a news conference in his Madison Avenue office. "It was organized. Absolutely."
    Yes, because we're desperate for soccer players.
    Can never have too many soccer players.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

5-0 loss

Comment

All talented foreign athletes should be guaranteed visas.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Cubans are not good soccer players, like Venezuelans, they have been baseballized
          I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
            Yes, because we're desperate for soccer players.
            Can never have too many soccer players.
            Oh, so now you believe people under 17 can make their own decisions.

Only when it suits you I suppose.
            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I don't think I've ever said a young person was incapable of making a good decision. BUT, I think you have took at the whole and make the rules.
              I was very lenient with my daughter, compared to some.
              She earned it by showing good judgement. I don't give anyone anything. They earn it.

These guys show good judgement by recognizing the fact that this was an oppotunity they couln't pass up.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP

Oh, so now you believe people under 17 can make their own decisions.

Only when it suits you I suppose.
                are their parents protesting? Are their parents in a position to freely state their opinion?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: Two Cuban soccer players defect in U.S.

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                  In Texas, Alonso didn't return from a group shopping trip before Wednesday's game. More, one of Cuba's leading scorers, also missed a game against Panama in East Rutherford, New Jersey on Sunday and has not been with the team since.
                  Moscow on the Hudson!
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas
                    Cubans are not good soccer players, like Venezuelans, they have been baseballized
                    Do you really think we'd notice?

Comment

I didn't want to say it. They play what?

Comment

why would they give up a free health care system to come here?

Comment

Sometimes I don't know if Dis is joking or not.
                          ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                          ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

2 defect from Cuba and 13 from Haiti, and Slowwhand thinks that proves something about Cuba? More than six times as many defect from a smaller capitalist basket case, and he thinks the story proves Cuba has a problem?

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

If I remember correctly, Cuba pays its professional baseball players $7/month. If they pay their soccer players similarly, it's no wonder they want to defect.

Comment

Working...
                              X