Once again - interview tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again - interview tips

This is my annual interview tips thread. But now, the situation is different for me. I'm not applying for a "normal job", I'm applying for researcher/doctorage student position, they both come in the same package. BUT, it's in another Uni. They are flying me out, so it's a fairly big deal for them as well, this is definitely not usual in here. So I reckon I'm considered as a serious candidate.

My strengths: I know the area they are going to research, it's MY field, there's not a lot of people in here with knowledge on it and I'm passionate about it. It's my dream field and my dream so hells yeah it's my field. So I can pretty much talk about it all day long and I would be considered somewhat knowledgable on the future subject already, and we can talk about everything with no difficulties. Also, my academic background so far is excellent.

My weakness: I am not able to graduate before this job/position begins. They requested someone with masters or PhD. I talked about this to them already so they know this. But it's still a weakness of mine.

How should I prepare myself? I get extremely nervous before important interviews, usually 3 or 4 days prior I'm really on the edge, it's all I can think of, running all scenarios in my head, talking to myself, talking to the mirror and so forth. USUALLY though I'm relaxed when I finally get to the interview and just surf through. Now I'm not sure. You see, it's a one time opportunity, definitely. These are super rare, it's exactly what I want, the research in question is exactly the very question I am personally interested in. OK? This is a very rare opportunity to score big. This is to achieve a dream, not just a step closer, but an actual dream.

So I might be nervous there as well. I have to fly there, you know it's a super tight schedule from the airport etc.... so this only adds to the mental state where I'm not comfortable.

I want to be able to just be relaxed and not stress it out. Finally I feel like I can really... I really know the area very well already and I think I have something they don't have or can just acquire easily from somewhere else, I consider myself a real asset. So if I can just relax, I bet I can get it. It feels too much of a sure thing, usually I feel I'm the worst candidate, thne kind of just blast everyone and take the job, but this time I feel a strong candidate.... a bad sign!

So I need tips again... one of the bigger problems is that I'm still not sure what to wear. I was first thinking about a suit, but now I'm definitely against it. I need something less formal, yet smart. OK this might be what you need to do in the US, but it's a bit different here. Suit might be definitely overdressing, I just want to make it safe. Something that would be OK in all situations possible, not too little, not too much. I might have to go shop for those clothes this week, so I'm ready to shell out some cash, just to be sure.
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Can't help with the clothes because I would suggest a suit. You can't wear the uniform until you make the team.

As for the interview I would make sure to let them know how excited you are for the opportunity. If you go in all relaxed, or with the feeling like you deserve the job, they will probably take away that you really don't want it. I doubt this will be your case.

Also, I wouldn't worry about not have the PhD or masters. As you stated, they already know what your qualifications are, and they want you anyway. If they ask about this I would agree that this is your weakness, but that you are eagerly working at obtaining the distinction that would be more reflective of your abilities and know how. Just keep stating your strengths, while acknowledging your weakness, and your willingness to correct your weakness.

You'll do fine.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Japher, yeah man, they know about the situation with my studies, so it's definitely not an obstacle impossible to go over. In fact, I think it's a sign of strong candidate situation, if you add that they are flying me out and paying for it.

I'm still against the suit. I want to make a safe bet, suit isn't necessarily one. It would make me feel uncomfortable all the way there to think I might be overdressed. It has to be perfect, I can't think these other issues, I have to be focused, I have to know everything is perfect and then I can relax and score.
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

would you still wear a bow tie?
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Sure, but not in that situation .

I'm still going to wear a good shirt and pants, I just don't want to get the jacket and I might leave the tie out as well.
          In da butt.

Comment

Better to overdress then underdress.

A lot of places are using behavioral type interviewing.
            Look it up on the web and check out some of the question types, and prepare some generic answers.

Always makes you look good.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Hmhh, that's interesting.

For example, some of the characteristics that Accenture looks for include:

* Critical thinking
              * Being a self-starter
              * Willingness to learn
              * Willingness to travel
              * Self-confidence
              * Teamwork
              * Professionalism

One would say well of course, this is obvious, but sometimes it isn't obvious what the spesific characteristics are.

I'm also totally unaware of the style of the interviews. It's not just one interview. For example, I think there are no other candidates present that day. There are at least two people I'll be talking to separately, one would be the 'future boss', and one is involved with the research as a peer I figure.

So this is quite new style for me, I think this involves a lot of chatting. Basically I'd be directly working with these two people for this whole time, starting soon, so it'll be kind of informal but formal at the same time and lasts the day. So yeah, I think they want to see the type of a person I am, if they like me the best. I wouldn't hire a person I think I'll have problems with anyway.
              In da butt.

Comment

You're applying for Accenture?

Comment

No
                  In da butt.

Comment

That would've been interesting, because I work at Accenture.

Like rah pointed out, it's better to overdress than underdress. However, if you don't feel comfortable in a suit, plus you know that your counterparty will not wear a suit, then don't bother. Focus on a more "business casual" outfit, e.g. shirt and slacks.

Here are some other pointers that may help you: http://oedb.org/library/starting-a-c...interview-tips

Comment

prepare a good Enron joke
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Behavior question example.

Tell me of a time you had to deal with a difficult (customer/client) How did you handle it, and what was the outcome?

A good answer will contain the phrase (I listened)
                        A negative will be if you say that you let your boss handle it.
                        A positive will be that you went above and beyond to help.
                        A negative if you gave up.

There are no real right or wrong answers but some are much better than others.

These types of interviews will not make you always choose the perfect person, but IT WILL eliminate a lot of losers.

We had one guys that cracked on management in every answer. The guy had a real problem with authority, but thought he aced the interview. We were laughing so hard going "yeah right you aced it".

there is a lot of information online.
                        It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                        RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The interview process is so stupid. People who know how to ace interviews can still be douchebags.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yes it is but what is the alternative?
                            You're not going to always be hiring people you already know.

60 minutes will not always tell you what you need to know.

But a behavioral interview keeps them talking long enough to maybe hang themselves. Even those that are trained for it. (but yes, some less then perfect candidates can appear better with training)
                            And it allows some scoring that will eliminate many possible lawsuits.
                            There is a job skill specific section also, so don't think that's not included. (and it's the place to really trip up those skilled in being interviewed)

Of course we have a 90 day probation period on all new hires that allow us to terminate them for any reason. SO there's still a chance to catch a few bags.
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

rah, nice example. Also, this I've had to deal with in the past:

"What do you not like about people, what frustrates you the most"

"What kind of features in your coworkers will annoy you the most"

"If your former coworkers had to say something negative about you, what would it be?"

Three negative questions in one interview . It was CLEAR they were weeding out certain type of 'answers'. But it was pretty simple in my case, as I hate pretty much anyone, so I just had to pick one group I especially don't like - to not sound like a psycho.

Anyway, I really do think this will be a different kind of experience, it lasts the day and I'm expecting just like ... long chats. They'll talk about the projects and I talk about what I've done, my upcoming thesis I'm working on and everything that is related that I have done and am interested in.

I already had to send an open application type of thing for them, including CV, so basically they know the important things, including why I want the position and why I would be the best possible person to take it.

We also had a phone interview, same questions I alrteady answered, they were all very spesifically related in what I really want, as in "you said you can start in September, is this still something you could do?", "How is your thesis coming along, you said you started it already?", "would you be willing to move here if you got the position?", "Can you stay they whole day, if we fly you out in the morning and return you in teh afternoon, would that be OK?".

I mean every question was just about those kinds of things. 0 "normal" interview questions. So, you know, I think if everything goes really well, they might even consider giving me some kind of confirmation that very day. I don't think there's lots of candidates left. I think there's only few, less than five definitely.

And I've done my homework, I read the thesis of the other guy and the dissertation of the other guy, plus I've pretty much read the other guys articles in the past, so I know what they are about, and all their themes I'm familiar with. I don't think there's going to be a big problem, professionally. I really think it's just about if they think they'd like to work with my personality the best out of other candidates. This might not be so simple though... it is the IT field and research business, people are pretty much weird .

Other than that, I'm already ready to go. I can commit to this right now, should the stars be aligned. I've talked to this thing in my Uni, with my people, the selected few, and they support me and told me that I should have no problems moving in there in September, since I have little studies left in here. The message was clear, bureocracy won't be a problem at all, and they want to cooperate with this other Uni as well. So, if they ask about that, it's already settled. If they ask about my willigness to move, I'm already applying for an apartment. I move fast. Bing bang boom. I'm not a guy who waits when it's time to make moves.

One good sign is also, that the other dude ONLY wants my CV. He said to not bring other papers to him. That is a good sign, because they need my CV for their archives. I already did send one, but you know, this is a good sign.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X